Premed 101 Forums

ABS Outline

You are allowed a total of 48 entries which fall into 7 different categories: Formal Education, Research, Employment, Volunteering, Extracurricular, Awards and Other. For 4 out of the 7 sections (employment, volunteering, extracurricular and other), you will get a total of 150 characters (NOT words!!) to describe each experience. You will have to be informative but concise!

The formal education section practically has nothing to fill out (just put the name of your degree). The awards section will ask things like: when you received the award, qualifications for receiving the award and the competition involved. The research section should only be used if you have publications/presentations, because you will be asked to input the title of the project, type of publication and your role in said publication.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the application process (although don't worry right now, OMSAS applications will only open up in mid-July)!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 9:09 PM, m_jacob_45 said:

Just thought I would add that there is no limit for how many entries per category (e.g. you can have 40 research entries if you want). The total though is 48, and however you choose to divide those is very flexible. 

Very good point to make....sorry I missed that earlier. Because of this flexibility, there is no "cookie-cutter" application that is required for med schools (i.e. don't fill out your application thinking I need 7 spots for volunteering, 8 spots for extracurriculars, 6 spots for research, etc...). Don't define boundaries for the number of activities you need to put in a particular section! Fill out the application the way you feel it represents you best. I have several friends who got into med school (U of T and Queen's) without doing any research, or even volunteering/working in a hospital! IT CAN BE DONE! BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR CHANCES!

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2017 at 1:58 PM, sandorclegane said:

Very good point to make....sorry I missed that earlier. Because of this flexibility, there is no "cookie-cutter" application that is required for med schools (i.e. don't fill out your application thinking I need 7 spots for volunteering, 8 spots for extracurriculars, 6 spots for research, etc...). Don't define boundaries for the number of activities you need to put in a particular section! Fill out the application the way you feel it represents you best. I have several friends who got into med school (U of T and Queen's) without doing any research, or even volunteering/working in a hospital! IT CAN BE DONE! BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR CHANCES!

You make a really good point here. Very easy to get fixated on numbers for this type of activity etc. and that kind of tunnel vision can be very dangerous and paralyzing.

Archived