Premed 101 Forums

Hello everyone,would appreciate any comments + honesty + constructive feedback on GPA.

GPA by year 3.1, 3.2, 3.67, 3.71, 3.97 (Science)  (OMSAS: 3, 3, 3.6 ish, 3.69, 3.93)

Second Degree (Arts + Sci): 4.0 (OMSAS: 3.98) --> second degree was stall time to decide on masters (had scholarship to cover).

Have one more year, aiming for 4.0/3.98.

I am contemplating whether it is worthwhile to write the mcat with my current stats, my ECs are pretty average + research, student groups etc. + continuous employment during undergrad, at one point had 2 jobs; a couple are long term (7 years, 4 years etc). I started on with an inclination of med, but wanted to keep my options open. However, because of my grades, felt like it was a lost cause. Consequently, my drive and focus took a hit. I've since improved my grades.

Can anyone provide insight as to whether it is worth a shot? I literally feel my motivation waning because I have no idea where I stand because I've never applied.

APPRECIATE IT :)

If you do well in your last year then yes, I think you have a shot at Queens or Western (pending your MCAT score) due to their weighting systems. You mention Calgary, are you an Alberta applicant? Calgary drops your worst year overall. If you are IP, you might have a chance if you get a high CARS score. If not, it might be a bit of a stretch.  

My advice, take the MCAT and knock it out of the park. Then APPLY! You will never know exactly where you stand until you do! 

Archived