Premed 101 Forums

Online programs

Hello, I've been reading mixed reviews. 
Ive heard that medical schools in canada don't care how you got your degree (online or in class) only that you had a high GPA and it was from an accredited university. On the other hand, Ive read that some frown upon online degrees. 
Do medical school admissions really care how you got your degree or does having a competitive GPA, good MCAT score, and solid ECs matter more? 

Thank you in advance. 

3 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

I think this is school dependent.

Some schools I know that definitely accept online degrees are U of T, McMaster, Queen's, Western.

yeah is up to the schools - nothing is universal

3 hours ago, SoraAde said:

Ottawa does not accept more than 1 online course per semester.

and that is the main one that takes issue with them

But in general, (aside from Ottawa) most of the medial schools don't typically care about how you got the degree right? or would it likely be one of those situations where id need to explain why I chose online learning instead of conventional in class learning? 
Im only asking because i read a lot of articles saying that many medical schools in the states have never enrolled someone who completed their degree 100% online and so that is a little concerning for me here because our schools are harder to get into. 

1 hour ago, Greenman1212 said:

But in general, (aside from Ottawa) most of the medial schools don't typically care about how you got the degree right? or would it likely be one of those situations where id need to explain why I chose online learning instead of conventional in class learning? 
Im only asking because i read a lot of articles saying that many medical schools in the states have never enrolled someone who completed their degree 100% online and so that is a little concerning for me here because our schools are harder to get into. 

They are pretty clear in their rules that it doesn't matter (again except for those where it is a problem). Remember as well the US has a lot of low cost online programs without the same sort of standardized educational rules like we have. In short standards vary - which is in part why standardized tests are such a big deal. 

and there are places like Waterloo where the course codes for DE courses are the exact same as the in class ones. The transcripts are identical - so they simply have no idea how you did the program. 

11 minutes ago, Greenman1212 said:

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your reply. 
One last question though, In your opinion, how advantageous would it be to list that I'm an armoured officer in the canadian armed forces on my application? 

I mean it is a pretty solid EC - are you considering applying under the military officer streams? 

No, due to the nature of my degree (online) I'm in eligible for the ROTP. But I mean I'm also volunteering at a local hospital and I work full-time. The only reason my degree is online is because I have to supply for my child. I was also considering transferring to a Ontario university to kinda hide the fact that my degree is online. I was looking at the Queen's University 3-year life science degree. Im currently enrolled at Thompson Rivers University in B.C in a 4 year psychology program.  

Archived