Premed 101 Forums

Research Oppertunities

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what sort of research opportunities were available for medical students at UOttawa, and how one would go about obtaining these positions. Also, do most people do research over the summer, or during the school year? Thanks!

Depending on how much time you dedicate between classes its hard to tell what you can commit to (depends on yourself), but the summer for sure is a good way to get into research.

The uOttawa UROP scholarships is open to med students which is 50 hours during the year (fall and winter) to do part time lab work and present a poster at the end. This is a relatively easy scholarship to obtain, with about 320 awarded a year.

NSERC summer research scholarship is also offered, roughly 6500$ for 16 weeks full time during the summer for research in a lab funded by NSERC, although I do not know how they will calculate grades because of the pass/fail, they might just take your undergrad grades from previous degree.

Those are the scholarships awarded to general undergrads (which med students can still tap into). You can always apply for part time volunteer or paid work during the year or the summer in a basic science research lab or with a clinical researcher. I will let a current med student comment further, since there are research electives you can also do during your afternoons and other opportunities I might not know about.

Mr Duck

21 hours ago, Donald_Duck said:

NSERC summer research scholarship is also offered, roughly 6500$ for 16 weeks full time during the summer for research in a lab funded by NSERC, although I do not know how they will calculate grades because of the pass/fail, they might just take your undergrad grades from previous degree.

Do medical students usually do NSERCs?

There is also two programs for medical students to do research during the summer. For the first one, physicians post their research proposals online and you can contact them. They will choose a student to apply to the program with (or if you already know a physician you want to do research with you can apply together). This happens during the summer and is a 5000$ bursary. The other program is with teachers from the faculty and the research is based more on the improvement of the curriculum and the humanities. In that program, there are also opportunities to go Shanghai to do this curriculum/humanities research. I do not know the amount of the bursary for that one. The school will send you email regarding these programs when the applications open. 

Archived