Premed 101 Forums

Several ways to access medical studies ?

Hello everyone,

I am a French student who has already had his Scientist "Bac" (Mathematical , Physics, Biology)  which gives access to the University in French system. I believe is the equivalent of the diploma of college studies (DEC) in Canada.

My question is :  I believe that it is possible to access directly after the D.E.C but I want to know if other ways to access medical school in Canada. A friend told me to do 3 or 4 years of program at the University (Bachelor 1st cycle)  and then to the University of Medical Studies.  I would like to know more about this and if you know of any other means of access to medical studies please.

I believe the main way is a coast system right after the High School. But in France there are several ways, in the United States also, and I wanted to know if in Canada the same thing

Thank you very much,

5 hours ago, Daviddd said:

Hello everyone,

I am a French student who has already had his Scientist "Bac" (Mathematical , Physics, Biology)  which gives access to the University in French system. I believe is the equivalent of the diploma of college studies (DEC) in Canada.

My question is :  I believe that it is possible to access directly after the D.E.C but I want to know if other ways to access medical school in Canada. A friend told me to do 3 or 4 years of program at the University (Bachelor 1st cycle)  and then to the University of Medical Studies.  I would like to know more about this and if you know of any other means of access to medical studies please.

I believe the main way is a coast system right after the High School. But in France there are several ways, in the United States also, and I wanted to know if in Canada the same thing

Thank you very much,

Hi David, I am going to offer a few perspectives given that I recently went through an admission cycle and I had a few friends with an international background similar to yours. 

If you are not a Canadian permanent resident or a Canadian citizen, you would normally fall under the "international/foreign applicant" category. Even if you do your premier cycle in Canada via a student visa, you will still fall under the "international" category.

There are a limited number of spots under the international category. From the data from the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, there was approximately 278 international applicants applying to a Canadian medical school. I believe the admission rate for foreign applicants is about 4.3% given how limited the amount of spots there are. 

My question to you is are you looking for a francophone or anglophone medical school in Canada? Presuming you want a francophone medical school (given you are French, hence more comfortable with French as the language of instruction), there are a few universities: 

1. Université de Sherbrooke (in Québec)
  2. Université de Montréal (in Québec)
  3. Université Laval (in Québec)
  4. Université d'Ottawa (in Ontario) - there is a French stream

The biggest barrier is that not all schools have an international category. I would look at each Canadian medical school to see if they have an international category. On the top of my head, I believe Queen's university in Ontario has 5 spots (maximum). But that's an anglophone university in Ontario. It would be helpful for you to look at each school and examine closely. 

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Avec le bacc français qui est l'équivalent d'un DEC y a moyen de rentrer immédiatement en pré-med (médecine préparatoire) à McGill, UdeM, ULaval et USherbrooke. Le statut d'international rend les choses un peu plus compliquées pour toi, à McGill par exemple il y a beaucoup moins de places disponibles et c'est donc ultra-compétitif. Tu habites ici? Tu as la résidence permanente?

Pour l'Ontario effectivement tu vas devoir faire un bac (B.Sc/B.A. ou autre) et tu appliqueras à ta dernière année. Par contre il te faudra également faire le MCAT, qui est un test standardisé qui évalue une panoplie de trucs, comme la bio, physique, chimie, psycho, socio et raisonnement critique. C'est assez difficile pour quelqu'un qui n'est pas parfaitement anglophone, surtout pour la section raisonnement critique qui a un niveau d'anglais assez avancé. 

edit: je crois que l'appellation médecine préparatoire suite à l'entrée au contingent collegial ne s'appelle pas nécessairement med-p dans quelques universités francophones. Je sais pas trop, je ne m'y connais pas autant là-dessus, mais l'idée reste la même indépendamment du nom.

14 hours ago, qnzjlo said:

Hi David, I am going to offer a few perspectives given that I recently went through an admission cycle and I had a few friends with an international background similar to yours. 

If you are not a Canadian permanent resident or a Canadian citizen, you would normally fall under the "international/foreign applicant" category. Even if you do your premier cycle in Canada via a student visa, you will still fall under the "international" category.

There are a limited number of spots under the international category. From the data from the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, there was approximately 278 international applicants applying to a Canadian medical school. I believe the admission rate for foreign applicants is about 4.3% given how limited the amount of spots there are. 

My question to you is are you looking for a francophone or anglophone medical school in Canada? Presuming you want a francophone medical school (given you are French, hence more comfortable with French as the language of instruction), there are a few universities: 

The biggest barrier is that not all schools have an international category. I would look at each Canadian medical school to see if they have an international category. On the top of my head, I believe Queen's university in Ontario has 5 spots (maximum). But that's an anglophone university in Ontario. It would be helpful for you to look at each school and examine closely. 

La faculté de médicine à l'Université d'Ottawa exige que tous postulants soient citoyens canadiens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 8:42 PM, qnzjlo said:

Thanks for the detailed information. Great contribution.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, joseph said:

Hello,

to qnzjlo

For a canadian Citizen, is it easy to be admit to MED-P in McGill with a French Bac S (outside Canada). I will come to Québec in June (in ordre to be a Quebce resident before the beginning of the session, for fee)

Thanks

"Veuillez prendre note que les personnes qui détiennent uniquement un baccalauréat français obtenu en dehors du Québec et qui ne sont pas résidents du Québec ne peuvent postuler ni au programme préparatoire de médecine ni au programme MDCM. Ces personnes-là doivent forcément compléter des études universitaires de premier cycle afin de povoir soumettre une demande d'admission."

Archived