Premed 101 Forums

I believe that my topic might suggest what my question would be, but before that let me talk about me. I am a nurse from India-RN in Toronto. I couldn't get into medicine when I was in India because of the different education system, which didn't consider my marks. But, I always had that nagging pain of not achieving the dream. And here in Canada, I found that there are opportunities to pursue your dreams. So I want to give it a try.

About my Education: BSc in Nursing (4 Years Program including Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, sociology, psychology, social medicine) I got my grades in percentage converted to GPA by WES, which is 4.0. 

I am not sure if I can add these in my EC's: I have volunteered at a spiritual and cultural center since my high school in India, participated in regional language literature program and got certified, been student council member representative for my class to the university during my undergrad, presented a thesis on ischemic heart disease, worked for 5 years as RN in ICU, worked as team leader, presented two papers at two state level conferences, precepted Wisconsin Nursing students thrice, assisted with two double-blind studies, volunteered here at a cultural centre for a year, worked as staffing assistant while awaiting licensure and about to volunteer at CNIB and/or a community center.(Other than these have tutored students for free)  It sounds like a lot, but I am not sure if they are all valid ECs. And I have no idea if I have to provide supporting documents for each one of these.

About to prepare for MCAT and appear for the exam next year.

(Thanks for reading through this)

It will be great if I could get some answers for few of my questions.

1. DO you think if I can apply for med school? Cuz, came across the 'BIAS' topic during interviews.

2. And the second reason for my first question is because I am an internationally educated applicant, and OSMAS says that we need our grades to be converted by WES. Nut still I am paranoid. Did you ever came across someone who had international credentials.

3.Do I need to provide evidence for any of my EC.

4. My EC-are they are legit? 

5.any other suggestions to support my dream.

Thanks!

You'll need to contact Admissions for the medschool you are interested in to see if you can use your previously obtained international degree. I'm not sure how it works, hopefully you can! Your average is perfect. 

Now work on the MCAT. Study, and do it well. Your EC's are a great! I think anyways. 

Good luck 

I think your ECs are great! If you want to use them on your application, you have to have a verifier for each activity so start thinking about a boss, colleague, friend, etc. and get their contact info for your application. So each activity needs a verifier for it to be considered "legit" but other than that, you can use whatever type of activity you want. They did stress at my school that long term commitments look better than lots of short term (ie. 1 day events) activities.  BTW, I am a RN-->NP--> and now starting med school in the fall. Good luck!!

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2017 at 3:45 PM, northo60 said:

I think your ECs are great! If you want to use them on your application, you have to have a verifier for each activity so start thinking about a boss, colleague, friend, etc. and get their contact info for your application. So each activity needs a verifier for it to be considered "legit" but other than that, you can use whatever type of activity you want. They did stress at my school that long term commitments look better than lots of short term (ie. 1 day events) activities.  BTW, I am a RN-->NP--> and now starting med school in the fall. Good luck!!

Oh wow. That’s awesome. Thank you. 

Where did you get your undergraduate degree? What is the specific university? Does WES approve your international schools' credits and convert them?

Some/many schools do not consider internationally obtained degrees to meet their pre-reqs. And even when they do, very few international students are admitted in Canada. Depends on where you plan to apply. Look into specific schools and their specific requirements. Some schools also require English proficiency testing... Not 100% sure on this, worth looking into it early. Something else to think about: will you need to pay international tuition or domestic?

Also: yes you will need to provide evidence/references for your ECs. And yes, your ECs sound legitimate and average.

Archived