Premed 101 Forums

Advice?

michael.10

Hi,

I am currently reviewing my CARs practice passages right now, but I was hoping I can get some advice on jump starting my score from here on out. I am currently on Day 5 of CARs practice and I have been doing 4 passages TIMED per day. I am consistently getting around 1-3 questions right out of a 6 or 7 question passage. After I completed the time practice, I would reread the passage and write down the main idea again, compared them to my answer choice before I would check the answer key for correct answer and explanation. After checking the answer key, some times I would get the answer wrong because it would turn out did not read enough detail in the passage since the question stems I got wrong seem very specific on a certain part of the passage rather than the main idea (but EK states that most questions can be solved using only the main idea). I have only touched passages from EK CARs 30 mins, EK 101 CARs and NextStep 108 so far.

My practice material include: EK 101 CARS, NextStep 108, TPR CARs workbook (2015) and the AAMC stuff.

Am I overreacting? Should I hope that deeper into my study plan that my CARS practice scores will unexpectingly shoot up because my brain would be use to expected CARS passage and answer after 100s practice passages? If it matters,  my test date is September 1st this year

I guess any advice or experiences are appreciated. :'(

I had the same problem when I first started studying. It took me a while to get used to the question style and sometimes I picked answers that I was sure were right but they ended up being wrong. I think it might be helpful to not time yourself for the first week or so, so that you're able to focus fully on accuracy. Also, let go of what you think "should" be the right answer... this is a common trap. I found PET to be very useful - don't look for the right answer, just look for reasons why each answer is wrong and pick the one that's the least wrong. I hope that made sense. Overall, I don't think you need to worry too much - you're only on day 5 and your score will gradually improve! Make sure to keep track of your mistakes so you can identify trends and change your strategy accordingly. Good luck!

Archived