Premed 101 Forums

Can someone help me out here please?

Hello everyone, would appreciate any insight you can offer.

GPA (Science) by year 3.1, 3.2, 3.67, 3.71, 3.97 (but only 27 credits :(  for 3.97 year)      (OMSAS: 3, 3, 3.6 ish, 3.69, 3.93)

Second Degree (Arts + Sci): 4.0 (OMSAS: 3.98)

Have one more year.

I am contemplating whether I have a shot with my academic history, or what kind of MCAT Score I'd need to offset it? My ECs are pretty average + research, student groups etc. + continuous employment during undergrad, at one point had 2 jobs; a couple are long term (7 years, 4 years etc). 

I am hoping for Calgary.

Is there hope, I constantly feel like I'm so lost but I'm truly striving to do the best I can. But honestly guys, I am not in a good place mentally. I honestly felt like I'm constantly pursuing some ephemeral green light and I've tried hard to push myself to improve my grades, but right now, I'm just struggling a lot. I don't know how people keep going, I have such profound respect for all of you.

Hi jkmeowling,

Recent uofc med grad here. Take a look at the admissions criteria in detail, as well as the admission statistics if you haven't already.  I'm not sure how to calculate your GPA in your case, but there are definitely successful applicants with in the range of your GPA - which means that you should give it a shot! Strategy wise, your aiming to get an interview -  remember that only 20% is GPA, and you have lots of room to do well in other areas.

I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well right now. I hope you are proud of all of the hard work you've accomplished over the last many years, and recognize that you've already demonstrated profound resilience - this process is so so challenging.   You've recognized that you're not in a good place mentally. Please remember to take the same strategic approach to self-care that you've done to your studies so far. Go talk to someone outside this forum if you haven't already, the walk-in doctors at the uofc are great as are the counselors.

I remember thinking that once I got into med school things would be better. But once the med school acceptance elation wore off, preclerkship was very similar to my premed stress levels, and clerkship was worse. The relentless exam writing and academic expectations, reference letters, research expectations and EC's....it all repeats itself. Once in residency, it repeats itself again for subspecialty matches and fellowship applications.  It's a long road, and it required many of my classmates to actively work at their own self-care and mental health, myself included. If you are able to find strategies that work for you in your struggles now, these skills will aid you in your journey through medicine.

Best of luck, you deserve it!

Dear @Cupboardsauce,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! It means a lot!

Thank you for giving me the dose of reality I needed. These feelings come and go in waves and I knew that it would get harder once I was in med. I knew that I would have to learn to cope with constant stress, relentless grinding and heavy responsibility. More than academics, I was more concerned with my maturity and coping ability. But I now feel like there is some hope or glitter at the end of this all, so I'll keep striving and work hard. I'll try to find good techniques of coping meanwhile. In another thread I mentioned that over the next year, I'll work to improve my ECs, write the MCAT and improve myself as a person and then apply. Hopefully next year, I'll be in a better position :). Thank you.

Archived