Premed 101 Forums

Obtaining Ontario/Alberta Residency

Hey guys, so I'm IP BC. Wondering if I work for 6-8 months rurally within Ontario or Alberta whether I'd qualify for Ontario or Alberta residency and rural considerations? If I got Ontario/Alberta residency, do I get to keep my BC IP one if I'm back in BC and working by April / May next year? I will simultaneously be doing online schoolwork out of BC universities. 

What would be decent, competitive IP stats for Ontario and Alberta?

How many weeks out of each month, or months out of the year would I be required to live/work in either place in order to get my residency?

Am I better off aiming for Alberta residency rather than Ontario?

If you leave BC you can keep your BC MSP for two years (you just inform them you're leaving temporarily). however, you will not be able to obtain any other provinces health care. You cannot have two health cares at once, which is fine bc no other school requires a health card to prove residency I don't think. 

Unforunately I cannot apply to Med school next year as I'm approaching my two years and will have to give up my BC card ... was anyone able to keep their bc card for longer than two years while living outside the province? 

5 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey guys, so I'm IP BC. Wondering if I work for 6-8 months rurally within Ontario or Alberta whether I'd qualify for Ontario or Alberta residency and rural considerations? If I got Ontario/Alberta residency, do I get to keep my BC IP one if I'm back in BC and working by April / May next year? I will simultaneously be doing online schoolwork out of BC universities. 

How many weeks out of each month, or months out of the year would I be required to live/work in either place in order to get my residency?

You need to look at the residency requirements of each school you are thinking of applying to, then consider your current life circumstances and reach a decision that is appropriate for you.

A) Start looking up this info on the med school websites

B ) AFAIK 6-8 months rurally in ON or AB isn't going to do anything for you

C) Post up your detailed stats (cGPA, wGPA, yearly GPA breakdown, course load status, ECs, MCAT) if you want decent advice on your prospective med school application

D) ON doesn't have much of an IP bias except at McMaster, generally lower stats will have a better chance in AB but if you are competitive in ON you can usually be competitive anywhere in Canada

On 2017-06-17 at 9:02 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

According to the UofC help guide from 2016-2017:

"3.1 Alberta Residency
Applicants will be considered Albertans if they meet one of the following criteria:
1. Have been physically present in Alberta1 on a day-to-day basis for 24 consecutive months at some point between their 15th birthday and the first day of classes (of the year for which they are applying).
2. Have been on active duty for the 24 months prior to classes starting (i.e. July 1, 2015 - July 1, 2017) with the Canadian Armed Forces2 or the RCMP. A letter from your commanding officer supporting your active duty dates must be received by October 1, 2016.
The following caveat applies: “The residency requirement shall not be considered broken when the Committee is satisfied that the applicant has been temporarily out of the province for vacation, educational exchange or employment.”
A few notes about residency status:
1 or NWT, Yukon or Nunavut
2 This does NOT include members of the reserves."

However, this is just UofC's in province definition for Alberta residents. You should also check each school's help guide or admissions website that you want to apply to as the IP definition for each school is different. I know from friends who applied to OMSAS that only certain schools in Ontario actually have an IP vs. OOP applicant pool. I think for schools like Queen's and UofT they do not distinguish between IP and OOP applicants.

On 2017-06-17 at 2:31 PM, PeanutButter1 said:

If you leave BC you can keep your BC MSP for two years (you just inform them you're leaving temporarily). however, you will not be able to obtain any other provinces health care. You cannot have two health cares at once, which is fine bc no other school requires a health card to prove residency I don't think. 

Unforunately I cannot apply to Med school next year as I'm approaching my two years and will have to give up my BC card ... was anyone able to keep their bc card for longer than two years while living outside the province? 

Hi, just wanted to follow up on this. Does anyone have experience working (not school) outside of BC for more than two years, and still able to keep their BC Residency status (ie. keep BC health card)? 

Thanks! 

There really is no requirement for IP Ontario residency for any school except McMaster. They require 3 years in Ontario to count as IP.   

You could apply to UoT, Queens, Ottawa, Western with no differentiation for IP.  They each have fairly high GPA and/or MCAT thresholds.

NOSM --- unless you have lived long term in a remote / Northern community and can explain that in your application,  it is likely not worth applying.  I doubt a 6 month work stint would count for much -- but you might ask that question inside the NOSM forum page.

1 hour ago, Meridian said:

There really is no requirement for IP Ontario residency for any school except McMaster. They require 3 years in Ontario to count as IP.   

You could apply to UoT, Queens, Ottawa, Western with no differentiation for IP.  They each have fairly high GPA and/or MCAT thresholds.

NOSM --- unless you have lived long term in a remote / Northern community and can explain that in your application,  it is likely not worth applying.  I doubt a 6 month work stint would count for much -- but you might ask that question inside the NOSM forum page.

When you say they have "fairly high GPA and/or MCAT thresholds", do you mean for both IP and OOP (i.e. for all applicants)?

The high GPA/MCAT cutoffs at Ontario Schools is well discussed on premed101.  My comment was to point out that there is no need to achieve IP for Ontario,  but that OP does need to check if their GPA/MCAT is competitive to apply. 

Ontario schools do not differentiate IP vs OOP except for MAC.  MAC limits the number of OOP interviews to 10% -- but once interviewed they do not limit OOP acceptances.   Western (SWOMEN) and Ottawa (Capital Region) do have some minor Ontario-regional preferences that relax the MCAT,  but this is not an IP vs OOP concern.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-06-23 at 1:03 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Ignorance here: what is Ontario gpa / mcat general competitive numbers?

It really depends on the school. I like to thibk that each applicant's stats/objectives have them set up for a particular niche set of schools. Poor MCAT/high GPA? Ottawa. Average MCAT, strong ECs? Queens, Toronto. High CARS? Mac.

If you truly want to be competitive everywhere in ON, meet Western's MCAT cut (highest in ON) which will mean you're good for all ON schools in terms of MCAT. Then have a GPA of 3.95+, and strong ECs. Obviously this isn't your average applicant, so you have to look at what your stats are like and apply strategically :) 

Archived