Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys, so I'm IP BC, I've cross posted in UBC thread so hopefully not violating terms by posting here too.... 

Wondering if I work for 6-8 months rurally within Alberta whether I'd qualify for Alberta residency and rural considerations? If I got Alberta residency, do I get to keep my BC IP one if I'm back in BC and working by April / May next year? I will simultaneously be doing online schoolwork out of BC universities. 

What would be decent, competitive IP stats for Alberta?

How many weeks out of each month, or months out of the year would I be required to live/work in either place in order to get my residency?

First off, while it is a legitimate strategy to move to another province to gain IP, the ethics are questionable, especially if you're going for rural status. Rural applicants are placed in their own pool because they are at a legitimate disadvantage when it comes to opportunities to engage in extracurriculars/research etc. It might be a red flag if you move to the middle of nowhere, but I'm not familiar with your situation or your job prospects so I will not be so quick to judge your intentions. 

To be considered IP for the University of Alberta, you need to maintain residency in Alberta for at least one year prior to the first day of medical school classes. Exceptions are granted for students attending school in another province, active military members, and those on temporary work placements. 

To be considered IP for the University of Calgary, you need to have lived in Alberta for at least two consecutive years sometime between your 15th birthday and the first day of medical school classes. If you attended and graduated High School in Alberta, you automatically fulfill this requirement. 

Alberta has a specific section on their application wherein you must provide two contacts/verifiers that can confirm your Alberta residency. The admissions office may or may not ask for additional proof by way of rent recipients, spending habits, and other verifiers. 

I am not sure of the effect of taking classes in BC while living in Alberta but because you will have to state that you are taking these classes on your application, it might raise questions with the admissions office. 

Regardless, living in Alberta for 6-8 months would not be sufficient to gain IP status at either school. 

Best of luck. 

It looks like UofA is changing their requirements for accepting applicants. I've heard that your GPA is no longer going to be considered in your application. All you have to do is hit their 3.3 minimum GPA. The rest of your application will depend on your MCAT and EC's.

Last year average GPA was 3.88/4.00 and MCAT was 128.3? You'll have to look for a conversion chart, but I think an 85% = 4.0 (don't quote me on that). 

55 minutes ago, ThatCanadianGuy said:

It looks like UofA is changing their requirements for accepting applicants. I've heard that your GPA is no longer going to be considered in your application. All you have to do is hit their 3.3 minimum GPA. The rest of your application will depend on your MCAT and EC's.

Last year average GPA was 3.88/4.00 and MCAT was 128.3? You'll have to look for a conversion chart, but I think an 85% = 4.0 (don't quote me on that). 

What is the source of your information?

On 6/17/2017 at 6:25 PM, ThatCanadianGuy said:

An adviser at UofA. 

Would that be the case for the next application cycle? Do you have to reside in AB for 2 years to become IP? 

My friend moved to AB to get IP but ended up rejected from U of A and accepted to two Queens and Ottawa in Ontario - It is NOT easier getting into albertan schools - but it definitely improves your chances. 

Archived