Premed 101 Forums

Extracurriculars for pharmacy UBC

UBC2016

I am looking to apply to Pharmacy in 2018, and I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of insight on what extracurriculars are suitable for pharmacy? I am heading home over the summer and am looking to maybe volunteer at an elders home to obtain some community involvement. Does anyone know if this is or is not "relevant" to my application to pharmacy? 

Is there anyone thats been accepted in the past two or three years thats willing to share what extracurriculars they had? I know UBC also really looks at involvement.

Thank you anything will help! 

Yeah I'd say talking to elderly patients would be good experience for volunteering, as patient interaction is something a pharmacist does. 

I am also applying to UBC and U of A pharm D in 2018, so also I would like to hear about some perspectives for volunteering, work experience and extracurriculars. 

Thanks guys.

Great questions! 

When it comes to your application, anything put on your Student Profile appears to reviewed privately and combined with your Interview score to determine where you 'rank' in comparison to other applicants. Now, I have no idea (and no one would or should say if they did... confidentiality) what their ranking is, however I have two general guidelines. 

(1) Be involved long-term things: You're not special by volunteering in a pharmacy or healthcare related field. How do they know you aren't doing it 'just' to get in? I recommend you have at least one activity/EC/sport you do long-term! This shows genuine interest, commitment, and reflects on who you really are. Plus, in my opinion, I would favor someone that volunteered every week for two years at a children's outreach program than a short-term Pharmacy volunteer rotation. 

(2) Diversity: Do a variety of things related to healthcare or community. To avoid contradiction, use these activities to 'spice' up your application. Work in a pharmacy (that counts), volunteer with St. John Ambulance, shadow/volunteer with a pharmacist, community events, church, etc. 

@UBC2016, In regards to your question, I believe it would be. Anything about you is 'relevant' to your application since it is all reviewed and considered. Not doing anything is relevant (although not recommended). 

My extracurriculars included: Weekly Sunday School teacher (focus on Gr.1-5 youth with mental disabilities), Toastmasters, host MMI practice sessions, Taekwondo, Lifeguard volunteer, St. John Ambulance volunteer. Worked in a pharmacy a couple years ago... used the Pharmacist as a reference. 

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to drop more :)

• 2 weeks later...

UBC Pharmacy grad here. Like CDuke93 said, commitment, consistency, and diversity is probably key. Do what you love, and show that you're not just in it for the CV and application. Some leadership, some volunteering, some hobbies would be nice. Doesn't even have to be health care related; you're not expected to be a health care professional before you're even admitted.

I'm pretty sure volunteering at a pharmacy does NOT give you any bonus points, although a lot of people believe that. However, I still recommend that you do it. It may not add much pre-interview, but volunteering for extended periods at a pharmacy let's you understand what a pharmacist actually does and what makes a good pharmacist, and it'll show in your interview.  Plus, you get a first hand experience to know if this is even what you want to do before you commit time and money.

On 6/27/2017 at 8:07 PM, TARS said:

I'm pretty sure volunteering at a pharmacy does NOT give you any bonus points, although a lot of people believe that. However, I still recommend that you do it. It may not add much pre-interview, but volunteering for extended periods at a pharmacy let's you understand what a pharmacist actually does and what makes a good pharmacist, and it'll show in your interview.  Plus, you get a first hand experience to know if this is even what you want to do before you commit time and money.

Completely agree with TARS. It can only help, yet it isn't necessary. Great to show you their role and give experiences for the MMI. Long term benefit can be when you are accepted, you have a potential part-time employer for when you are in school/rotations. It's an opportunity to apply skills/material learned, have a preceptor and networking for your career development. 

It's all good but don't need it to be in the hood :) 

Archived