Premed 101 Forums

Lower GPA acceptances?

6 hours ago, Hammmmmy said:

You don't know if that user wrote an Academics Explanation Essay. Those things have the potential to get 3.6 GPA students in. I know of another person with a similarly low GPA that got into UofT as well. He showed me his OMSAS gpa and did not qualify for the weight scale either. I attached the e-mail from the registrar onto this post for confirmation of what I'm saying. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 11.48.22 PM.png

Yes, you are right. After re-watching that video from UofT admission committee, I gained a clearer understanding of how GPA is used. Based on the application pool each year, they create a competitive GPA cut-off at the initial file screening stage, after which GPA is no longer mentioned. The next stage is detailed file review in which one's essays, 3 ABS statements, and LOR are being closely examined to determine who is worthy of an interview. After the interview, the applicant's final score is consisted of 50% detailed file review + 50% interview score. So GPA is competitively used in the sense that it varies based on the competition of each year. Keep in mind that UofT admission website mentioned that a minimum of 3.8 is considered competitive, and this was written 2 years ago I believe when the admission average was 3.96. 

There is definitely a reporting bias on Premed 101 as the number of people who is invited to interview is usually around 550, and the ones that get in are around 210. And look at how many of these people posted on Premed 101. Therefore, I doubt that the competitive GPA cut-off used by UofT is as absurd as 3.88 or 3.89. Not even Harvard has this high of a cut-off.

1 hour ago, uofthopefulzhou said:

Yes, you are right. After re-watching that video from UofT admission committee, I gained a clearer understanding of how GPA is used. Based on the application pool each year, they create a competitive GPA cut-off at the initial file screening stage, after which GPA is no longer mentioned. The next stage is detailed file review in which one's essays, 3 ABS statements, and LOR are being closely examined to determine who is worthy of an interview. After the interview, the applicant's final score is consisted of 50% detailed file review + 50% interview score. So GPA is competitively used in the sense that it varies based on the competition of each year. Keep in mind that UofT admission website mentioned that a minimum of 3.8 is considered competitive, and this was written 2 years ago I believe when the admission average was 3.96. 

There is definitely a reporting bias on Premed 101 as the number of people who is invited to interview is usually around 550, and the ones that get in are around 210. And look at how many of these people posted on Premed 101. Therefore, I doubt that the competitive GPA cut-off used by UofT is as absurd as 3.88 or 3.89. Not even Harvard has this high of a cut-off.

U of Ottawa's GPA cut off is around 3.87 for out of province :P

So I wouldn't be surprised if UofT's cut off is around that as well.

2 hours ago, uofthopefulzhou said:

I have to disagree. It is because of our skewed demographic that we are able to determine the GPA cutoff, roughly speaking. Our demographic is more likely to have individuals with excellent ECs due to the nature of students here being more keen than the average premed. They know the kinds of ECs that will get them in and thus they are more likely to have a diverse and impactful set of them. All it takes are a few students with excellent ECs and a subpar GPA to give us a glimpse of the cutoff. I can say this because they need their GPA to meet the cutoff in order to get the file review. I am also assuming that their ECs are diverse and impactful enough (I judge them based on what they say on the invites thread) to determine if they would've gotten an interview. If you see an invite post with a guy that has a 3.85 but excellent ECs resulting in an invite, you can tell that the cutoff is around that area. Once again, it is our kind of demographic that allows for any sort of analysis to be done. This cycle, I came to the conclusion that the cutoff was around 3.89 to 3.9. Is it accurate? not really. Is it better than speculation and intuition? Absolutely. As long as its grounded in some form of quantitative data and healthy-ish assumptions, its as good as we're going to get. 

Also you can figure out exactly what the invite to offer numbers are. Its 599 invites with 324 offers of acceptance and the class size rounds arounds to 260. The ASsociation of Faculty of Medicine Canada has these numbers. 

Idk what harvards cutoff is or how they run things but UofT runs a different ship. All med schools in Canada do. Infact, they pride themselves on it in their admissions videos and their websites. Cannot make these assumptions unless its really 1 to 1. 

1 hour ago, _gettingthere_ said:

@Hammmmmy

I don't know if you've seen the new thread in this forum about this year's admissions stats, but the average accepted GPA this year is 3.96. This is probably really extra of me to ask but do you think I'm still ok with my 3.93? It's so intimidating to be below the average, even though I know it's not the cutoff.

I had a 3.92 as an UG reviewed applicant so dont worry you dont need to have a 3.96. Just put a strong application together and you will have a good shot. 

52 minutes ago, RicardoKaká said:

I had a 3.92 as an UG reviewed applicant so dont worry you dont need to have a 3.96. Just put a strong application together and you will have a good shot. 

had a 3.91.. so you definitely do not need to hit the average per se

On 2017-07-06 at 8:37 PM, puma88 said:

In the UofTMed Recap video, the admissions folks said that the minimum GPA for acceptance was 3.66 for the previous admission cycle.

Interesting...I feel like this is the minimum accepted wGPA of combining both undergrad + grad applicants. Would be nice to know the stats of both applicant pools (especially the minimum accepted wGPA for undergrads in 2017) :)

• 2 years later...

hello,

I am  a Canadian from outside of Ontario ,currently studying at a university outside of Canada. the program that I am enrolled in is a 3 year undergraduate program after which I will be graduating with a BS in Biology. I am currently applying to U of T after completing 2 full years, and will take the MCAT. is there any chance to get in with a cGPA of 3.9 for admissions of 2021, knowing that I will not graduate with a Canadian Bachelor's degree.? 

thank you in advance. 

Archived