Premed 101 Forums

3rd year application ideas?

I'm currently an undergrad heading into my 3rd year of my degree this fall and wanted some advice to see if there was anything I should add to my application for Ottawa u med this coming fall.

wGPA: 3.99 (OMSAS scale)

Stream: English

Research: Worked in 3 labs during my first year summer using fMRI, EEG etc. This summer currently working at UHN as a researcher in an immunology lab (P.I has MD and PhD) co-authoring 1 or 2 papers by the end of work term and competing at a poster conference in August 

Awards: 2x Dean's list, UROP scholarship, awards for highest mark in some courses, 2x Academic All Canadian

EC's: Varsity swim team, CIS champion, 2x OUA champion, competed at Olympic trials and Pan Am trials, volunteered to help teach disabled children to swim, Ronald McDonald house charity, Habitat for Humanity, NAIG (this summer) etc. Executive position of 2 clubs at school. Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon. Instructor for lab skills seminars at school, involved with a movie series to teach first years lab etiquette and safety. Some more not mentioned.

MCAT: Not required

Please let me know if there are any areas where you think it is possible for me to improve my application, and good luck to everyone applying!

That all sounds good to me, too! Your GPA is great, which, as I'm sure you know, is a big part of Ottawa's admission formula. This year, interview invites were determined by a score combining your GPA and CASPer, and interview score and GPA were used to rank candidates after the interview. So, as far as preparing for this admission cycle goes, I agree with OldManLogan's suggestion to start preparing for CASPer and interviews fairly early on. Best of luck! :)

To be clear, uOttawa dosent care that you are 3rd year or 17th year student. In fact, this year there has been a tremendous amount of 3rd year students that got accepted compared to previous years. I highly suggest you take the MCAT and apply to all schools, yes it will suck, but with your GPA and experiences you will undoubtedly be granted an offer somewhere. I know a lot of people with a 4.00 GPA and did not even interview at uOttawa (or interviewed and didn't get in), open up your chances and apply everywhere; you never know...

Bonus: if you flunked the MCAT you can choose not to disclose it to uOttawa so it won't affect your application at all. And even if you did flunked it and disclose it, be assured that they do not take the scores in consideration at all. 

Mr Duck

Archived