Premed 101 Forums

Good resources in clerkship

Hi all 

Does anybody have any good suggestions for textbooks to learn actual medicine / clinical reasoning? 

Moving into clerkship in September, and trying to find good resources that integrate a bit of clinical presentation with patho/pathophys with differential diagnosis construction, and therapeutics. A tall order, I am sure. 

The bulk of my reading has been piecemeal, ie Guyton &Hall for physiology, Robbins for pathology, Bates for physical exam, etc.... just looking for a good set of resources that links it all together. 

I have heard Cecils is Good, and Harrisons seems to be alright, if a bit heavy on the physiology. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

Case based reading is the best bet:

1) Case files series + First Aid series for clerkship

If really keen or want to explore in depth

2) First Aid for USMLE STEP 2 CK  + UWorld

3) Step Up to Medicine (for IM keeners)

I wouldn't bother reading bulky books like Robbins path or Cecil IM, unless you are gunning for a particular specialty.

12 hours ago, shikimate said:

Case based reading is the best bet:

1) Case files series + First Aid series for clerkship

If really keen or want to explore in depth

2) First Aid for USMLE STEP 2 CK  + UWorld

3) Step Up to Medicine (for IM keeners)

I wouldn't bother reading bulky books like Robbins path or Cecil IM, unless you are gunning for a particular specialty.

Second this list, particularly First Aid for the Wards, Step Up to Medicine (if you want/are interested in IM) and uWorld (good for LMCC and if your school uses the NBME shelf exams). Would also suggest NMS Medicine Casebook if you're interested in IM, I found it quite useful. In terms of online resources - Medscape, UTD and Life in the Fast Lane fit the criteria you posted. 

As well before you start any rotation, reading its respective section in Toronto Notes has been key for me (just as a primer, use other resources to flesh out topics in depth, reading around your cases, etc.).

Archived