Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery Outlook

Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions about general surgery (ideally in Canada, specifically quebec and ontario, but open to all info)
If I go into general surgery, I would want to remail general. If I do not specialize, can i still remain in big city or am I more pushed to be in a community?

If I work in  a community, do I have to live in that community or can I live an hour away? i.e. on call, can I say okay I'll be there in an hour?

Any information on hours per week and schedule/vacation is greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!!

I don't know what you mean exactly by specialize but general surgery is a speciality per se.

You don't have to subspecialize (thoracic surgery for an example) to work in big center although you would need to do a fellowship. 

In my opinion, you shouldn't live too far away both for the urgent calls (there is a limit of what can be done in the ED) and for your quality of life (who would want to commute 2h a day?). 

As for the work load as an attending, those I know in community told me it ranges from 50 to 70 hours, sometimes more, rarely less. 

• 4 months later...

Archived