Premed 101 Forums

Applying after second year

Hi everyone! I have been thinking about applying to some schools next year that allow applications from students who have an undergrad degree in process (i.e., will not have graduated from their degree by the time they start medical school if they are accepted). I will be going into my second year of my undergrad at the U of A in September, so if I were to do this, I would be applying next summer. I think by the end of my second year, my GPA will be relatively competitive (3.6 GPA this year but have a decent shot at two 4.0 terms next year) and I have some strong ECs and will be starting a research certificate. I know that it's extremely difficult to get in before you finish your degree, so I would expect to be applying again after my third year.

I've heard some schools look unfavorably on people who have applied multiple times. Would I actually be hurting my chances of getting in if I apply after second year, or would it be beneficial to gain experience applying to schools and writing the MCAT? I won't bother applying after second year if it's just going to make things more difficult. Thanks for your help!

As far as I know, schools will not look unfavourably at you for applying more than once, especially considering the fact that many students apply more than once before being accepted. I think it's a good idea to apply after second year. Even if you are not accepted, applying will give you experience with the process, especially if you receive an interview. For now, I would suggest working hard to get a good GPA this year, and studying hard for the MCAT next summer. 

Good luck! :)

Canadian Schools do not look unfavorably on multiple applications.

You will need the MCAT for both Alberta Schools, so you can prepare to write it next summer.   See where you are on cumulative GPA and MCAT next summer and decide then if you would be competitive enough to apply.  You will likely need much better than 3.8 cGPA to get the interview when applying after only 2 years.  

The value in applying early would be the possible chance to experience an interview process.  

Awesome, good to know that it would be worth it. I would basically just be doing it to get experience with the application process anyway. I really don't expect to get an interview, but it's worth it to try and possibly experience the MMIs. Thanks for your help! :) 

Archived