Premed 101 Forums

Hey,

Can you provide a bit more detail about your approach to the CARs section? Might give us some insight on what advice we could give you. 

Are you consistently missing the main idea of the passage? Are you missing the author's opinion? Are you bored of the passage? How are you reviewing your passages - are you looking directly at the answer key without reevaluating the passage itself? 

I think your number one concern is dealing with fatigue rather than playing with approaches, I believe you got the brain power to hit 127+ , but you definitely need to be 100% connected with the passages. Try to find a motivation to stay with passage rather blanklessly reading. I always treat myself to a snack or 10 min break after I hit a good score.  

I agree with @hartk48, your main focus should be trying to fix the fatigue problem. I really don't have a good suggestion regarding fatigue, but make sure you're providing your self with adequate nutrition such as fruits and vegetables. Make sure you're maintaining a constant circadian rhythm as well.

As for how you're approaching CARs, in my opinion, I would toss out the ~4min passage and ~1min per question, by limiting yourself to a certain time you have to complete a passage and a certain time you do a question, you may be consciously worried about the time as you're reading the passage, as thus, you may not be 100% focusing on what the passage is saying. How I approach timing is that I know I have 10 minutes per passage, and I DO NOT check the timer until I am at least half way done the total amount of passages.

Moreover, I do not think doing 2 passages per day will really help you push for endurance of the test. I personally suggest to do at least 4 passages per day and setting a timer for 40 minutes.

Most passages I find is just a topic and then the pros and cons of that topic. Most of the time the first few sentences (BUT NOT ALL THE TIME) will introduce you to what will be discuss and then you have to choose how the author looks at this. Think closely about what the author's word choices (e.g. interestingly or condemn, etc...) are and that can help you towards the main idea. How I look at a passage is that the author is an indecisive idiot (not even joking here) that is having an internal argument with himself/herself trying to choose side. Ultimately, the authors supporting points and word choices will be the main view of the passage.

Most of the techniques I have adopted are from EK, and its pretty much active focus reading, looking at word choices, and answer the questions.

HOWEVER, it seems like you are able to perform well on the earlier half of the CARs, so the main thing for you seems to be the endurance is lacking for the latter half.

Archived