Premed 101 Forums

UofT Acceptance after 3 years UG

Hey all,

Just finished my first year UG (84% average), not sure how to calculate my GPA since it varies a lot depending where you applying ( I am planning to apply for UofT and UWO).

If I apply by december of my third year, does it mean they will take my 1st and 2nd year for GPA calculation? Also, is 84% average considered competitive assuming I have high 80's low 90's in my second year? Thanks!

Yes, UofT and UWO only look at marks from completed years. You wouldn't be able to apply to UWO until your 4th year, I believe. Check out both school's prereqs too and if there are any you find challenging (e.g. orgo), try to take them in the summer.

UWO has been placing a bigger emphasis on extracurriculars the last couple years. High 80s/low 90s is good enough, however there are lots of people who didn't get in with those grades and higher. GPA is king, but you need to have other strengths too. 

Probably the most important thing for UWO is the interview. They interview 200 very qualified people for 56 spots. Besides boosting your CV, ECs will help with your interpersonal skills and allow you to draw on experiences during your interview.

Thanks for you reply Pingu48.

Yeah, I am aware I can only apply to UofT ( I see this as a bonus, if I don't get in after 3 UG years I can still apply the year after finishing my 4 UG years). 
I know there are few mandatory courses that are not requested by both schools (e.g. orgo) and because of that I will be taking Orgo in my 4th year as science elective so that way I have the credit but it does not affect my GPA in case I don't do as well as I wish.
About interview, my goal right now is to build a strong GPA and DAT score. I finished 3 years of dental school back in Brazil and have lots of experience and hopefully that can help me through the interview (even though I know there are lots more to cover in the interview section such as extra curricular work not related to dentistry).

But yeah, do you think 84% average (1st year), 90% average (second year) + 21/22 DAT score would place me in good shape for interview at UofT after finishing 3 years of UG? 

Thanks again!

I have no idea what your GPA would be after those 2 years. For e.g., there is a huge difference between having a 90 average where half your courses are 100 and half are 80 (~3.85, assuming full course load), versus all your courses being 90 (4.0). Your 1st year would be a little low though.

I would say for you applying as a third year, definitely aim for 3.9+.

This is the conversion system: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

Thank you premedschool for your advice!

I looked in the website but haven't find any information about 'penalty' for applying as a third year and then again as fourth year!
Is there any penalty for students applying after 4 years who also applied after 3 years but did not get in?

Thanks =)

Lots of people apply multiple years and I doubt admissions look down on that. If anything, I'd imagine they would see you as more dedicated to the to profession if you continue to stick with it.

An 84% is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum, and it'd be incredibly difficult to get into UofT if you don't raise that average. Western is more holistic, so they'd also be looking into your ECs so an 84% wouldn't exclude you entirely.

Just try to get the highest marks as possible since the admitted average is continuing to increase. I'd say you can realistically aim to be competitive for both schools if you do well in 2nd + 3rd year of university.

I don't know what the lowest GPA for getting an interview this year was, but I imagine if you get around a 3.88 with a good DAT score you should get an interview. I imagine the admitted average is around a 3.92 this year, though, so you'll definitely have to outperform in other aspects besides your GPA. You can definitely offset your first year marks if you got a near 4.0 GPA in second-year, but either way you should just be aiming for top marks regardless.

The average admitted was 3.93/4.00 GPA this year with 32/35 interview score. The 3.93 includes Masters students who receive a bonus so undergraduates would have had an even higher average GPA.

Note that this is for individuals accepted directly, if I understand correctly.

Archived