Premed 101 Forums

Need advice /

Hey guys, 

I'm going into Second year at UBC and I'm just concerned about my grades at this point... wondering if I can make a come back.

At the end of first year I got a 67.6 avg ..are there anyone with this experience?? Did you make a comeback ? 

If I can make a comeback which schools would I be exempted from ? And which schools i have hope for assuming I will do way way way better in future years. 

Also I'm in this new program B+MM where I have a master's management (business) degree at the end of 5 years at ubc. Would this benefit me for Med school ? 

And I know I really sucked for 1st year, I had a cancer scare and that just messed me up. It's my fault ik.. I will work better..

U/T has the weighted GPA and removes many of your low grades provided you always have a full course load, and then there are schools that look at your last 2 years or best 2 year. So, live with no regrets, try your best and provided you improve, you still can be competitive. Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

The  B+MM degree will improve your chances of landing a job after you graduate but it won't directly improve your med sch chances. The experiences you obtained (eg. internship, jobs etc) might help. For med sch, grades/GPA/MCAT/extracurriculars are most important. 

UBC drops your lowest year (up to 30 credits) if you apply with more than 90 credits of graded courses, and you can also write special explanations in the application about your grades I believe.  Hope is not lost at all if you are able to start hitting 82 or 83+ in the next 3 years!

B+MM won't make a difference in the UBC app. Pre-interview is 50% GPA and 50% extra curricular.  They may review your file holistically post interview, but I'm not sure what B+MM would show (you don't take extra credits or anything iirc). But just drop your worst year and you're good :)

3 minutes ago, TARS said:

UBC drops your lowest year (up to 30 credits) if you apply with more than 90 credits of graded courses, and you can also write special explanations in the application about your grades I believe.  Hope is not lost at all if you are able to start hitting 82 or 83+ in the next 3 years!

B+MM won't make a difference in the UBC app. Pre-interview is 50% GPA and 50% extra curricular.  They may review your file holistically post interview, but I'm not sure what B+MM would show (you don't take extra credits or anything iirc). But just drop your worst year and you're good :)

Thanks Man! 

Archived