Premed 101 Forums

[UBC ISci Program] Help me integrate majors

Olle

Hi, I'm going into my second year at UBC, and I've recently been admitted to the Integrated Science program. To give you some context, this program allows you to integrate any two science majors offered at UBC. It can also be two themes such as regenerative medicine and/or epidemiology. I need to write an essay on this and submit it to UBC.

I'm thinking of these 2 possible integrations: 

1. Regenerative Medicine

- by integrating CAPS (Cellular, Anatomical, and Physiological Science) program + Cell & Developmental Biology

2. Virus-Directed Immunotherapy

- by integrating CAPS + Immunology/microbiology

So here are my questions: 

a. Which integration will prepare me better for medical school?

b. Which theme (stem cell regenerative medicine or virus/microparticle-directed immunotherapy) is more promising in medicine? And why?

c. I know this is different for each school but from your experience, is microbiology less difficult compared to cell bio? I ask because studying CAPS in and of itself seems already pretty daunting. I want to avoid integrating majors that will cause too much memorization or cause my grades to drop.

Just to clear any confusion - ISci at UBC is different from double major programs because it gives you the flexibility to choose any course you want to take within the theme discussed in your essay. There are mandatory integrated science courses that you need to take.

This is besides the point, but this program is becoming a "premed" program amongst UBC undergraduates when it is supposed to function as a program for potential scientists... I intend to go to medical school for an MD/PhD so that I have the authority to conduct biomedical research on patients.  

Thank you very much in advance! I appreciate it.

Archived