Premed 101 Forums

Advice on Chances at Mac

Hi all, 

I've never applied to Mac, so I don't know a whole lot about admissions... I know it is a long shot for me based on my stats, but I recently became in province for Macmaster (I will be living in Ontario for 3 years by the time of September 2018), so I thought I should look into this school as an option. I do understand that GPA, VR/CARS and Casper are the main factors, and I'm not too competitive in GPA, VR/CARS, but I was wondering if there any point applying with an undergrad GPA of 3.5 (unfortunately the OMSAS conversion really didn't work in my favour) and a 127 CARS. I assume I would have to nail Casper, but even with that is there much of a point applying with these stats? Are extra-curriculars looked at in the admissions process? 

Thanks in advance

I can't comment on CARS, but I got in this year

I got an interview in my third year (and final year; I did my undergrad in 3 years at UofT). My GPA was 3.45 I think? (3.23 in first year, 3.67 in second year). My MCAT verbal score was 13/15. I was waitlisted but didn't get in.

I then did my masters. I applied when I first graduated my BSC before starting my masters. Same verbal score (13) and my GPA was 3.53; and I had one more publication. I didn't get an interview

I applied after my Masters (public health); my verbal was 13, undergrad GPA was 3.53; grad GPA was 4.0 (not that it matters). I got an interview and got in 

So your GPA doesn't make it impossible; just do well on casper and the interview. I essentially had the same GPA all three times, got an interview twice and rejevted without interview once. It's honestly luck

5 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

Thanks for the feedback, your CARS score was impressive. Does anyone know about lower CARS scores + lower GPA instances? 

That's a lot harder. To get an interview, you want to be of the top 10%

to get an interview, it's just numbers:

32% GPA, 32% MCAT verbal/cars, 32% casper

even if you ace casper and have a less than ideal GPA and MCAT , it's rare that you are in the top 10% of applicants

4 hours ago, Quokka said:

That's a lot harder. To get an interview, you want to be of the top 10%

to get an interview, it's just numbers:

32% GPA, 32% MCAT verbal/cars, 32% casper

even if you ace casper and have a less than ideal GPA and MCAT , it's rare that you are in the top 10% of applicants

Makes sense. Would you suggest I retake my CARS in that case? To improve the 127? 

17 hours ago, PeanutButter1 said:

Makes sense. Would you suggest I retake my CARS in that case? To improve the 127? 

Depends on if your stats are good in other areas. If they are and you are eligible at other schools and you put in your all, don't do it. But if you feel like you were winging it, have room for improvement, have the time to actually study more than you did before and your MCAT score isn't good for other schools either, then redo it. 

11 hours ago, Edict said:

Depends on if your stats are good in other areas. If they are and you are eligible at other schools and you put in your all, don't do it. But if you feel like you were winging it, have room for improvement, have the time to actually study more than you did before and your MCAT score isn't good for other schools either, then redo it. 

Unfortunately I never took a full course load through university, so I'm sort of stuck with only applying to schools like Mac. I pretty much need to cater my application to the school, in which case I guess it would be advisable to re take CARS?

I tailored my application strategy to Mac and got in this year. I only studied for the CARS section of the MCAT and received a 130 (I believe this was 98th percentile). I was also able to apply to Ottawa as a backup because they don't consider the MCAT. GPA was 3.65. If Mac is your only option, I would probably re-write the MCAT and just focus on CARS , if it were me :) Performing well on casper will also be important to offset the low GPA. Totally feasible! 

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I tailored my application strategy to Mac and got in this year. I only studied for the CARS section of the MCAT and received a 130 (I believe this was 98th percentile). I was also able to apply to Ottawa as a backup because they don't consider the MCAT. GPA was 3.65. If Mac is your only option, I would probably re-write the MCAT and just focus on CARS , if it were me :) Performing well on casper will also be important to offset the low GPA. Totally feasible! 

Thank you!!! 

On 6/25/2017 at 0:18 PM, PeanutButter1 said:

Unfortunately I never took a full course load through university, so I'm sort of stuck with only applying to schools like Mac. I pretty much need to cater my application to the school, in which case I guess it would be advisable to re take CARS?

In that case I would redo it, with a 3.5 GPA you would want a really high CARS. I don't think very many people get in with a below avg GPA and a below avg CARS no matter how they do on CASPer. 

Archived