Premed 101 Forums

Is it worth applying with my MCAT? (OOP)

I took my MCAT in 2016 and scored in the 97th percentile (only a 128 in CARS however)

From what I have gathered, beyond an established cutoff, gpa is not factored into the decision. Only the MCAT is considered for an interview invite as an out-of-province applicant. (Ontario)

I have also heard that the MCAT cutoff as an out-of-province applicant for the last cycle was the 98.5th percentile

Would it be worth applying, or would I essentially just be throwing away my application fee in doing this? I am not looking to rewrite my MCAT at this point. 

Thank you!

11 hours ago, al301330 said:

I took my MCAT in 2016 and scored in the 97th percentile (only a 128 in CARS however)

Only a 128? Really?

11 hours ago, al301330 said:

I have also heard that the MCAT cutoff as an out-of-province applicant for the last cycle was the 98.5th percentile

Would it be worth applying, or would I essentially just be throwing away my application fee in doing this? I am not looking to rewrite my MCAT at this point. 

Thank you!

Heard from who? The school publishes these stats. You should probably get this type of information straight from the horse's mouth considering it is available. And not for anything but it seems like you answered your own question here. Not sure what you're expecting other than others to praise your MCAT performance. GL with apps

6 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

Only a 128? Really?

Heard from who? The school publishes these stats. You should probably get this type of information straight from the horse's mouth considering it is available. And not for anything but it seems like you answered your own question here. Not sure what you're expecting other than others to praise your MCAT performance. GL with apps

If this post comes off as an attempt at an ego boost, I apologize but that wasn't the point. 

I wouldn't have asked if I could have found the statistic elsewhere. From what was published, I could only find data from the 2016 cycle, though they do let applicants know from the 2017 cycle what the cutoffs are, and I was hoping for an answer on that front. 

And true, objectively speaking, a 128 in CARS is not bad, and I had to practice continuously to get that. The reality is though that as an out of province applicant, it is the bare minimum for schools like U of A and others. In my home province, it's also too low for Western and is not great for Mcmaster. 

All this to say, I posted to try and get info on the stats, not to try to pat myself on the back. 

3 hours ago, al301330 said:

If this post comes off as an attempt at an ego boost, I apologize but that wasn't the point. 

I wouldn't have asked if I could have found the statistic elsewhere. From what was published, I could only find data from the 2016 cycle, though they do let applicants know from the 2017 cycle what the cutoffs are, and I was hoping for an answer on that front. 

And true, objectively speaking, a 128 in CARS is not bad, and I had to practice continuously to get that. The reality is though that as an out of province applicant, it is the bare minimum for schools like U of A and others. In my home province, it's also too low for Western and is not great for Mcmaster. 

All this to say, I posted to try and get info on the stats, not to try to pat myself on the back. 

Fair enough. I too am from Ontario so I understand the difficulty in its full entirety. Considering the shift in MCATs there could easily be considerable changes in cutoffs so I would still apply if you can afford it. If you really are worried I might suggest applying to American schools as well. It's another great option to Canadian medical schools. 

Congrats on the awesome MCAT score! The MCAT cutoff (OOP) for interview this year was 98th percentile overall with 129 in CARS.  Those who had 98th overall with 128 CARS were waitlisted for interview. From my understanding, the cutoff changes every year, so I think it's definitely worth the application! :) Good luck!

On 6/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, yup said:

Congrats on the awesome MCAT score! The MCAT cutoff (OOP) for interview this year was 98th percentile overall with 129 in CARS.  Those who had 98th overall with 128 CARS were waitlisted for interview. From my understanding, the cutoff changes every year, so I think it's definitely worth the application! :) Good luck!

Alright, thank you for the information! I guess I won't know unless I give it a shot!

You're within one point of last year's cutoff, I'd say apply and cross your fingers since the cutoff changes every year based on the pool of applicants they get (which is exactly what many of us did with Western when they gave that scary 130 CARS cutoff from the previous year as a reference). Besides the application isn't very time consuming, so it would only really be the application fee that you would have to worry about. If financials aren't a major issue here, you don't want to regret not having thrown in your name if they do lower the cutoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived