Premed 101 Forums

Quebec to recruit physicians from France

It seems pretty heavy handed by the health minister.  I don't know all the internal numbers, but my understanding is that FPs often look for positions within Montreal (PREMs) but can't get them.  So the recruitment of FPs to Montreal doesn't make sense with me.  Anesthesiology also doesn't seem to make sense, since there doesn't appear to be a great shortage at all, as described in the article and from what I know from other sources.  Finally, it seems discourteous to impose sharp practice restrictions on New Brunswick and other OOPs that train in association with the Quebec system, based on not wanting to increase the supply of physicians within Quebec, and then turn around and recruit 150 French physicians.   

If that article is accurate (which I find hard to believe), it is sad and disgusting that they are not trying any harder to get their own IMGs back to their province.

Makes no sense to recruit doctors from France while many Quebecers who studied abroad and now practice in USA have decided not to return due to all the hurdles of 1. getting a licence in Quebec and 2. those ridiculous PREMs

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:19 PM, Methodnike said:

If that article is accurate (which I find hard to believe), it is sad and disgusting that they are not trying any harder to get their own IMGs back to their province.

Makes no sense to recruit doctors from France while many Quebecers who studied abroad and now practice in USA have decided not to return due to all the hurdles of 1. getting a licence in Quebec and 2. those ridiculous PREMs

Unfortunately, it is accurate.

Archived