Premed 101 Forums

MUN Application: Essays

Hi :)

Here are the essay question prompts:

1. Write an autobiographical sketch about who you are, how you spend your time and why. (3000 characters)
  2. Why do you wish to become a physician? (1000 characters)
  3. What do you expect from your day to day life as a physician? (1000 characters)

Haven't started writing them yet so any advice from past applicants would be appreciated!

Hey, 

Although I will not be attending MUN, I was accepted this past cycle and I believe that these essays give you a great opportunity to express yourself in a unique way. I would suggest taking time to reflect on your desire to become a physician, write these thoughts down, and begin to formulate a response. With the first question, I did not over emphasize becoming a physician; that is why the second question is asked. Look at the the CanMed Framework for qualities that schools look for in students/future physicians and attempt to apply/demonstrate those in your everyday life and the activities you've worked so hard at. 

The other two questions are fairly straight forward, but they are short. So, be concise and direct with your essays. Also, be honest and be yourself; if you think something sounds chessy/weird it doesn't matter stick with your gut. From past experience, MUN likes diversity and people with a unique outlook. You want to be memorable, so unique/different is good. 

Personally, I had a lot of fun with these essays! While I'm definitely not an expert at the Med admissions process I was accepted this year so maybe I'm on the right track...

Because you have so little space to articulate a response the best advice I could give would be to reflect and give specific and concise answers. Oh, and to have fun with it!

The first question is a great opportunity for you to share with the admissions office a little bit about yourself, including all the quirky things that make you, well you! The point is not to summarize your CV in 3000 characters or less. This is your chance to go beyond your CV to show all your unique qualities and interests. You don't need to be extraordinary either. I LOVE to cook so I talked about that! 

I also read through the CANMED roles which helped me to articulate my responses to the other questions as well as detail my CV. Physicians (and women in medicine!!) wear many different hats and have the unique opportunity to take on different roles within the healthcare sphere. Choose a few key roles that you can see yourself embodying someday and use that to write your response. 

Good Luck!!

Archived