Premed 101 Forums

Yet another Medicine vs Dentistry thread.

12 hours ago, malkynn said:

This isn't actually a big positive deal except that supply and demand of doctors is controlled, whereas supply of dentists in major cities is completely out of control. 

Being private industry actually has a lot of benefits over public health insurance in a lot of contexts.

Plenty of dentists charge 15-20% over fee guide just because they can.

They can just decide that they want to make 15-20% more money per procedure. Doctors billing government insurance can't do that. 

Likewise, if insurance refuses to pay for a procedure, my patient still pays. 

I mean, a lot of plastic surgeons aren't primarily being paid by the government and a lot of them are doing just fine. 

Good points, but there is a maldistribution of physicians in Canada - often far too many in urban areas and quite underserved in rural areas. 

1 hour ago, Steins;Gate said:

Good points, but there is a maldistribution of physicians in Canada - often far too many in urban areas and quite underserved in rural areas. 

Partial systemic cause is lack of infrastructure linking suburbia and urban centres. I hope the new infrastructure bank that Morneau announced will help strengthen suburbia-urban centre linkages, enticing more professionals to reside in more "rural" regions.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:07 AM, imingen said:

I managed to get into both medicine and dentistry this year in Canada. Unfortunately, I don't particularly feel any draw to either of these professions anymore after a personal event earlier this year. I wish it could be different but it's just the way it is. I don't intend to squander the chance I got since I know both of these professions would give me what I want now, which is essentially money and job stability. At first, I was told that dentistry offers a better lifestyle and money and medicine has the edge of prestige (which I care nothing for) and arguably stability. However, I've been reading up on this subject and it appears that physicians make significantly more than dentists, even in professions like family medicine.

Given that lifestyle and money right now are most likely the only factors in my choice of profession, which one should I pick?

I graduated from dentistry and I'm currently in medicine.

According to my experience in both professions, I can tell you that it will be really up to YOU to decide what's your lifestyle and money. You can choose to be a dentist with chill life or with very busy schedule. You can choose to only work part-time and get 50k/year, or work 24/7 to get 300-400k/year. It's your choice.

I've also seen surgeons/doctors who have great lifestyle and less money. 

Btw, dentistry can be very stressful too, especially during dental school. There are so many possible tiny little things that can go wrong during a procedure. Ex: you do an endo and break a file in the canal, you have to spend a lot of time getting this tiny file out, but you have 2 patients waiting for you in the waiting room...it's even more stressful when you have to deal with pediatric patients who don't even open their mouth to let you anesthesize (I really respect those pediatric dentists).

Pp tend to think that dentistry is relax and chill and good life, but it depends. There are good days but there are bad days as well. Dentistry is difficult, but it can bring great professional gratification. Make sure you shadow dentists or dental school clinics first before entering the field. 

On 24/07/2017 at 4:38 PM, 1030812 said:

I graduated from dentistry and I'm currently in medicine.

According to my experience in both professions, I can tell you that it will be really up to YOU to decide what's your lifestyle and money. You can choose to be a dentist with chill life or with very busy schedule. You can choose to only work part-time and get 50k/year, or work 24/7 to get 300-400k/year. It's your choice.

I've also seen surgeons/doctors who have great lifestyle and less money. 

Btw, dentistry can be very stressful too, especially during dental school. There are so many possible tiny little things that can go wrong during a procedure. Ex: you do an endo and break a file in the canal, you have to spend a lot of time getting this tiny file out, but you have 2 patients waiting for you in the waiting room...it's even more stressful when you have to deal with pediatric patients who don't even open their mouth to let you anesthesize (I really respect those pediatric dentists).

Pp tend to think that dentistry is relax and chill and good life, but it depends. There are good days but there are bad days as well. Dentistry is difficult, but it can bring great professional gratification. Make sure you shadow dentists or dental school clinics first before entering the field. 

Why did you switch from dentistry to medicine? 

Archived