Premed 101 Forums

First Iteration Eligibility

Hi,

I am a Canadian Medical Graduate who matched to a specialty program in Canada previously. I decided this was not the right program for me and withdrew after 1 year. I am wondering if I am eligible for first iteration again or if this withdrawn residency counts as previous postgraduate training in the upcoming cycle.

Thanks!

Central planning for the win.

Ralk's right. You're ousted from Carms first round forevermore. You could try reasoning with them, but bureaucracy has much in common with amoebas in their ability to logically make decisions.

I'll use this opportunity to make a case for pathology, the world's best backup. Unless pathology's what you left. Then I don't know what to say.

I seriously hope you have very strong valid reasons for withdrawing from your program, not some "I just don't like the work I am doing right now" excuse. 

IMO, to simply withdraw from one program without securing a transfer to another suggest a complete lack of respect for your program and for the residency system. I can promise you that if I was on the CaRMS committee, your file will be heavily flagged regardless of your CaRMS round 1 eligibility. Who is to prevent you from doing the same thing to my program in future if we pick you?   

14 minutes ago, hamham said:

I seriously hope you have very strong valid reasons for withdrawing from your program, not some "I just don't like the work I am doing right now" excuse. 

IMO, to simply withdraw from one program without securing a transfer to another suggest a complete lack of respect for your program and for the residency system. I can promise you that if I was on the CaRMS committee, your file will be heavily flagged regardless of your CaRMS round 1 eligibility. Who is to prevent you from doing the same thing to my program in future if we pick you?   

Could also be that there is more to the story, and that the voluntary withdrawal was the better option of a compulsory dismissal.  

Archived