Premed 101 Forums

After 2nd year is convenient because you have already established a solid foundation from general science courses. Depending on how well you followed the material from the school year and provided you took intro psychology, you should be pretty well set up.

Assuming you're applying fourth year, it also allows you to maybe take a volunteer research position sometime during your second year and then summer of third year you can land an even better position that will really stand out on your application because you already have experience (preferably from 1st and 2nd year) - and be able to put in full time hours to boot. 

Assuming a science undergrad, late-summer after 2nd year. Science content will be fresh in your mind.  Use May-July to prepare and practice hard (full time).  Don't plan to write it multiple times. Write it early August if you intend to apply in 3rd year. This is so you will have our MCAT result before you start application activity and know you have achieved school thresholds.

2 hours ago, Meridian said:

Assuming a science undergrad, late-summer after 2nd year. Science content will be fresh in your mind.  Use May-July to prepare and practice hard (full time).  Don't plan to write it multiple times. Write it early August if you intend to apply in 3rd year. This is so you will have our MCAT result before you start application activity and know you have achieved school thresholds.

I am planning to apply in my third year so early august is what I was thinking but it's just that some people have suggested third year but I guess that's their personal opinion.

21 hours ago, Richyrio said:

After 2nd year is convenient because you have already established a solid foundation from general science courses. Depending on how well you followed the material from the school year and provided you took intro psychology, you should be pretty well set up.

Assuming you're applying fourth year, it also allows you to maybe take a volunteer research position sometime during your second year and then summer of third year you can land an even better position that will really stand out on your application because you already have experience (preferably from 1st and 2nd year) - and be able to put in full time hours to boot. 

Ya second year seems solid to me now! Thanks for the advice!

12 hours ago, Meridian said:

Solid advice for sure. I took it during August for good prep time as well but I found that first year summer was enough of a foundation for me, but I also took summer school.

Something to consider - your score for CARS may vary a lot.  For example, I know someone who didn't make the cutoff for CARS on first take, but took it a two months later and got above average.  That person took the MCAT in May/June, so that they could retake it in August if they needed (which they did). Might be another strategy if you are worried that you won't do well in one attempt.

Archived