Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

inordinate

Members
  • Content Count

    18
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by inordinate

  1. was also accepted this week. thanks for the support friends.
  2. UPDATE: Got note from the faculty this is true. (In case anyone else needs peace of mind in the future)
  3. Based on this forum it seems as though they haven't sent out many offers yet, which doesn't make sense with trends of previous years. But I am now thinking that they have sent out a lot of waitlist offers but this forum is just super inactive this cycle
  4. Every year there seems to be one day at end of May when a bunch go out, but it SEEMS like the offers thus far have been random and staggered (which is strange because you'd think it would be confusing on their end to have all these different acceptance deadlines with all these different days they've be sending offers off the waitlist).
  5. In previous years it appears they sent out the first wave of waitlist offers on the deadline day for accepted applicants (which was today). Anyone hear anything today? It seems they've sent out a few scattered offers off the waitlist over the past 2 weeks, I am wondering if they''ll continue like that, or if there will be one day where a bunch go out? Perhaps on Monday? I (and many others probably) am just wondering at what point this summer are the chances of getting off the waitlist low enough that I should start planning my life for next year ... perhaps now??? ... :/ ahhh
  6. Thanks for the info. Congrats on your acceptance - I hope your defer is successful! I'm sure it will be
  7. It's nice they're letting people know if there is a spot for them as soon as they know. How do you know this? Do you know if they send you an email or add a new letter to your documents?
  8. Typo. I mean avg MCAT** score of accepted applicants is 513 - it's changed now
  9. Hi. First of all congrats to those who were accepted. and yes I am jealous So my situation is as follows: I just finished my 4th and final year of university. My GPA is 3.91. MCAT is 513 - this is the avg mcat score for accepted applicants at U of A last year, BUT the real problem here was CARS which was 125. My ECs are mostly good and all are somewhat related to each other - i.e., they are clearly things that I am passionate about and not just a laundry list of random stuff. However, Out of the 12/16 spots for ECs on U of A application (I subtracted 4 for employment) 3/12 could be better - not many hours (25-50), not super related, but not terrible either (i.e., not like donating blood or something like that - I mean that's a great thing but not for a med app - u know what I mean....) So I applied and interviewed at Calgary and U of A. I did not take on any jobs or commitments this summer as I didn't have the heart to screw over any employers just in case I got a yes from calgary and no from U of A (there's more to this story, please don't comment on this, it's too late anyway). So I was rejected from U of C (which I somewhat expected because that I did terrible at that interview and CARS (which Calgary cares about more than U of A does) was bad). I felt the U of A interview went alright. Up to this point I have not had much to do since my last final exam due to reasons outlined above. And I know this is not ideal, but yes, my summer plans were going to be somewhat different depending if I got in or not. And now, as of yesterday, I know I am waitlisted, and have to make some choices, which is especially difficult considering waitlisted applicant don't get application feedback until Sept if they're still on the waitlist. Choice 1 - Re-write MCAT. The only use here would be to improve CARS - every other section was fine. However i) it would mean another summer of studying for that brutal exam (yes, I know this is a reality for many) ii) it would require money to pay for the exam and other related expenses iii) there is no guarantee I will do better the second time iv) the MCAT is likely not worth much on the U of A application grading scale (we know its 10ish% for U of C) BUT it was also my 125 CARS score that made me ineligible to apply to most schools outside Alberta. No, I don't really want to go to a school outside Alberta, because I have family, dogs, here, and I like U of A, but I don't know how I feel about only being left with 2ish school options once again if not accepted off the waitlist when I apply again for next cycle. Choice 2 - Find a new job + do extra curriculars I enjoy = more fun summer where I will make money and interact with people rather than being stuck studying all day. This would improve my EC part of the application which we know is worth more for U of C, and likely worth more at U of A too. BUT as we all know, EC is a largely subjective assessment (unlike MCAT), so there's no guarantee that improving my ECs will result in a better score from future application reviewers. You might say "Do both. Balance studying for MCAT with work or ECs". I did this last summer and it was extremely draining, and not in a "being busy feels good!" sort of way. Also, if I am going to commit to writing the MCAT again (especially considering I do not HAVE to do this), I will do ALL I can to MAKE SURE I am better prepared the second time, which would mean spending way more time studying for it than I did last summer, which would mean negligible time for ECs this time around. I know this is a lot to read and who cares about my situation, I know. But I would really appreciate any of your thoughts or advice. This is largely a very supportive community and it's very helpful to hear from people who have some idea what this whole process is like. thank you for reading friends. I promise to pay it forward
  10. @Butterfly_ thank you for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. Enjoy your long weekend.
  11. I really appreciate your response - thank you. I like what you said about the probationary period, because that is very true. The issue is that this is a job funded through govt of canada summer studentship - they pay the salary, not the organization. And this position only has 1 person, for the full 4 months of summer. It would really screw them over if I dipped out in June, (if, for example, I got rejected from U of A and accepted of waitlist in Calgary who starts in July), and it's even more complicated cause they are not the ones administering the salary. It also would mean I have taken away a position from someone else who was for sure available for 100% of the summer. It would be different if this was like a part-time restaurant job that already has a crazy amount of turnover. I also have known the people who offered me the job over the last few years (professionally, through volunteering), so that complicates it even further. I just don't know if I have the heart to screw them over if it does come down to it (of course, I would accept the offer to med school), in which case perhaps I should decline it up front. I was thinking I maybe could email U of A and U of C and ask if there is any chance they will send the offers out this coming week, but they might not divulge anything.
  12. I'm in the tough position (probably lots of others are too) that I have to let these people know by early next week if I accept this summer job or not that starts first week of May. But I can only accept it if i) I get rejected from Calgary (who starts in the summer), or ii) I for sure get into the U of A (which is my top preference). If the offers don't come out next week, then I'll have no choice but to decline the summer job. And then I find out if I get rejected from both schools after early next week, I literally will have nothing lined up for this summer because I will have had to decline the summer job. Don't keep me wrong, I am grateful to have interviewed. Last year U of A sent their invites on April 23 and Calgary on April 20. But every year before last year, it was early May. Anyone else in the same boat here :/
  13. I don't mean do they count for "conditional acceptance" - rather, are they considered for the admission emails they'll send out within the next month.. i mean they asked for our transcripts by Feb 1, 2019, right? ...thanks for your input .
  14. Hi friends, I am currently in my 4th and final year of my bachelor's degree and for year 1,2, 3, of uni I have done 5 courses per semester (and I am doing 5 courses per sem this year too). I am wondering if a) Fall 2018 semester grades count for Interview invite (they ask for updated transcripts by February 1 and send out interview invites shortly after - so do they even have enough time to factor in fall sem grades?) b) Fall 2018 semester grades count for acceptance/reject sent in April/May (I assume yes) c) Winter 2019 grades count at all - (I had a friend who heard back from U of A about his application in the same week he was finishing up finals for that semester in April, in which case they obviously wouldn't have access to his final grades for that semester yet). I know you have to send in updated transcripts in June, but would they really rescind your offer of admission if your grades for that semester were lower than your usual even after you'd been formally accepted? Like would they even bother? I appreciate your help! Thanks .
×
×
  • Create New...