Hi everyone! I'm starting Mac Med in a few weeks and I wanted to make sure I had everything down pat before I got started. I get the general gist of shadowing and electives and the differences between those two, but I also had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer :)
1. Do these normally start first year?
2. If I'm not mistaken, they are the same thing as observerships and we just apply according to the protocol each hospital follows, and we are supposed to find the doctors we want to shadow ourselves and email them?
3. Do any schools help students find these observership positions?
1. We are able to do electives during the non-clerkship years of our education via side-electives... correct?
2. For actual "clerkship electives", I was hoping to do some of them outside of Hamilton (ex. States or Toronto):
a) When you go to the UHN website for electives, they say the students have to apply through UofT, and UofT says that non-UofT med students can apply through AFMC... so I'm guessing it's possible to get an elective at UHN coming from Mac?
b) How important are connections (esp from shadowing and research) when it comes to finding an elective position you really want?
c) Sort of confused on the schedule of electives- is it just one elective position for a few weeks or is it like classes where you have multiple and elective A is every Monday and Wed and you go for a few weeks, while elective B is every Tuesday and Thursday?
3. How important are the locations of your electives for determining the location of your residency?
So sorry for all the questions! Not all of them have to be answered if you guys don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!