Premed 101 Forums

What are your opinions on Varsity sports?

5 hours ago, Downfall said:

Hey, so I was thinking of joining the Track and Field team next year (will be my 2nd year at UWO med sci), but I don't know if I'll be able to handle the arduous schedule of training 6x a week for 2 hrs everyday. I love running and think it would be a meaningful EC for myself. If anyone has done varsity sports in UG, can you give me some advice? Should I do it? How did you handle the course load and adapt to 2nd year (which is the hardest year apparently). I'm thinking of studying biochem and orgo two months before school begins to get an early start so I won't feel overwhelmed next year. I did zero ECs first year so I'm really thinking deeply about some good ECs to do next year. Thanks!

I've never been a varsity athlete, but I went to UWO, and if you decide to go through with this, I would strongly consider taking orgo in the summer (after second year) so you're not overwhelmed, and so that it doesn't affect your fall-winter GPA. Second year med sci is pretty heavy even without orgo, so I would see what you can do to make things a bit easier on yourself. 

I played varsity football during my whole undergrad. Its very doable. Lower your class load down to 4 classes, and you will be fine. Extra curricular's will significantly benefit you as a complete person/applicant/doctor/etc.etc. I leveraged a lot of my varsity athletics experiences in my interview discussions as well. 

On 6/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, JuniorDeAre said:

I played varsity football during my whole undergrad. Its very doable. Lower your class load down to 4 classes, and you will be fine. Extra curricular's will significantly benefit you as a complete person/applicant/doctor/etc.etc. I leveraged a lot of my varsity athletics experiences in my interview discussions as well. 

To OP: don't do only 4!

If there is one thing I can say I have learned from having no one to guide me in my UG is this: please keep full load -> balance hard with easy courses. Or you will be like me and only eligible for like... 4 schools in Canada.

If you want to do track then see if you can miss some practices a week and run on your own time. Try it out, if it's too much then bail on track.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:04 AM, Downfall said:

Hey, so I was thinking of joining the Track and Field team next year (will be my 2nd year at UWO med sci), but I don't know if I'll be able to handle the arduous schedule of training 6x a week for 2 hrs everyday. I love running and think it would be a meaningful EC for myself. If anyone has done varsity sports in UG, can you give me some advice? Should I do it? How did you handle the course load and adapt to 2nd year (which is the hardest year apparently). I'm thinking of studying biochem and orgo two months before school begins to get an early start so I won't feel overwhelmed next year. I did zero ECs first year so I'm really thinking deeply about some good ECs to do next year. Thanks!

The official answer is "do whatever ECs that interest you."

The real answer is that you can do ECs that make you sound just as interesting that don't take nearly as much time.  If you love it, no one can tell you not to do it.  But from a strictly "getting into med school" standpoint, 6 days a week for a few hours would have destroyed my GPA, I have a hard time imagining how it would help more than hurt (again from a purely med school perspective).  

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2018 at 6:25 PM, goleafsgochris said:

The official answer is "do whatever ECs that interest you."

The real answer is that you can do ECs that make you sound just as interesting that don't take nearly as much time.  If you love it, no one can tell you not to do it.  But from a strictly "getting into med school" standpoint, 6 days a week for a few hours would have destroyed my GPA, I have a hard time imagining how it would help more than hurt (again from a purely med school perspective).  

G

Archived