Premed 101 Forums

Canadian to DO

I'm currently an RN in Toronto at one of the hospitals downtown. I've got some solid ECs however my GPA is low; I somehow managed to get through nursing (BScN) with a 2.7 without studying much at all... I was young and wanted to enjoy myself without looking ahead. Now. I am finally ready to pursue medicine with all that i've got. I am looking to apply to DO schools after I take pre reqs and ace them- I was told that I have to show an upwards trend. My third year GPA is 2.81 and fourth year 3.31. After taking the pre reqs, I want to score high on the MCAT; again, I will be taking MCAT prep courses etc to ensure that I score 510+, I will write it however many times. My question is, should I take the pre reqs in Canada, stay here and apply to the Canadian-friendly DO schools or use my nursing career to land me a job in the states and obtain a green card/citizenship and then apply?

• 1 month later...

I would say that you want to make sure that your pre reqs are fulfilled.. which it sounds like you are. You do want to show an upward trend. I dont know if you are talking about your cumulative GPA but yes the trend you want to show is increasing towards or near to a 4.0 average.  I agree with the other poster is sit down and consider if you really want this. If you want it then dont look back.  Going the route of getting a jobo in the US and then applying may take you 10 years.... which may make your current pre reqs invalid ... meaning you would have to do a 1-2 year post bacc again and ace that. I think you should stay the course and apply from Canada.

Archived