Premed 101 Forums

Enrichment Year

Hello,

I am an incoming class of 2021 student - and I am stoked to be in Hamilton! I wanted to learn a bit more about the enrichment year, and what that could possibly entail. I understand that many choose to do more electives and research. However, could you do a Masters degree in your enrichment year? (As well, can you do a masters with your MD?) Also, how does an enrichment year look on your CaRMS application? Suppose, you don't apply after 3 years, and do an enrichment year instead? Would this look "poorly"?  Ideally, I really want to do a masters with my MD, and I'm trying to find a way to do so without negatively affecting my CaRMS app!

Yes, you can do a Masters with your enrichment year. The enrichment year is what you make of it. I know people who took them who have done well in the match and those who have not, but as a general rule people do match to their top choices. With that being said, i don't believe that you need an enrichment year to match well either. The people who took an enrichment year did so for either personal or research/career reasons, no one did it because they felt like it would help them match.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, ninja7292 said:

Are 1 year research based MSc's a thing or would you have to get a MPH? This is the only info I could find on it - is this what y'all are talking about?

https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/docs/default-source/general-resources-page/research/enrichment-program-policy-09-06-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=4

There is the HRM Masters degree at Mac and there may be others. I would enquire from the MD office either now or once you start school in August.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, toronto_sam said:

Suppose, you don't apply after 3 years, and do an enrichment year instead? Would this look "poorly"?  Ideally, I really want to do a masters with my MD, and I'm trying to find a way to do so without negatively affecting my CaRMS app!

You can't do this with an Enrichment Year. You can apply for an EY up to 3 months before November of your third year (when Carms applications are due).

Archived