Premed 101 Forums

Please chance me! (annoying post, I know... sorry)

I know these posts are very annoying. I am sorry in advance... am feeling super insecure about my MCAT score.

GPA (Two most recent full time years) - 3.97

MCAT (drumroll please.....) - 503 (129 CARS. The rest is CRAP)

Strong & extensive volunteer + extra curricular opportunities

Strong references

I will be applying to McMaster as well. Do you think my GPA is strong enough to compensate for my lousy MCAT score? I am starting a summer job and the hours are rigorous. I do not have time to study for the MCAT and am wondering if I should even bother applying to Queens this cycle.

Thank-you for your advice :-(

2 hours ago, Itanne said:

Queens has a cutoff for the MCAT that changes year to year and is never released, and I don’t think a 503 will cut it unfortunately. You can apply if you have the money but your chances are pretty slim. However, your stats look good for Mac!

agree with this. Queen's cuts in sequential steps in the initial stages; so you'd make the GPA cut but would be screened out at theMCAT stage more than likely. If you don't make it into Mac or your IP school(s) this cycle, would recommend a rewrite to open more doors! 

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Piggybacking on this so I don't have to make my own "annoying" post - what is a "good enough" MCAT for Queen's?

Similar stats to OP:

2yGPA 3.95-3.96

MCAT 511 (127 CARS), balanced.

Good ECs, etc.

I am retaking MCAT if all goes as planned but I might have to work with the 511.

Your MCAT should probably be fine as long as you don't have anything lower than a 125 in your science sections. 

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Piggybacking on this so I don't have to make my own "annoying" post - what is a "good enough" MCAT for Queen's?

Similar stats to OP:

2yGPA 3.95-3.96

Good ECs, etc.

I am retaking MCAT if all goes as planned but I might have to work with the 511.

Your academic portion is fine, whether your ECs are good or not is really up to adcom and how they rate you. How you write them is also important. Good luck!

8 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Everything is equal to or greater than 127.

Thanks!

You're retaking that :o? Damn! I hope you have the confidence to get above 127 in CARS, since thats the only thing can may need slight improvement 

53 minutes ago, Vendar said:

You're retaking that :o? Damn! I hope you have the confidence to get above 127 in CARS, since thats the only thing can may need slight improvement 

His current score should be good for Queen's but he is mostly rewriting because he has a good application for UBC IP and may just need a more impressive MCAT to get that acceptance! Should not be detrimental (apart from being unpleasant) to rewrite especially if the school accepts your best score (I haven't checked which ones do)

16 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Similar stats to OP:

2yGPA 3.95-3.96

Good ECs, etc.

I applied to Queen's as an OOP with similar stats not expecting anything, but I got in. I had a lower GPA but a slightly higher MCAT score.

5 hours ago, Vendar said:

Actually pretty nervous about scoring worse overall and screwing myself out of the States... but I'm thinking UBC might need a better MCAT and they take the best sitting so...

If only I had gotten a 515+ or rewrote the first time around *sigh* 

Decently confident with CARS, the day I wrote my cat had been ill all night and I slept 2 hours... hoping I can improve if I'm actually better rested.

34 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Actually pretty nervous about scoring worse overall and screwing myself out of the States... but I'm thinking UBC might need a better MCAT and they take the best sitting so...

If only I had gotten a 515+ or rewrote the first time around *sigh* 

Decently confident with CARS, the day I wrote my cat had been ill all night and I slept 2 hours... hoping I can improve if I'm actually better rested.

I mean MCAT is likely a relatively small portion of the post-interview scoring at UBC. I know anecdotally of people who got minimums/near minimums on subsections and still got in. 

12 minutes ago, helicase said:

I mean MCAT is likely a relatively small portion of the post-interview scoring at UBC. I know anecdotally of people who got minimums/near minimums on subsections and still got in. 

You're tempting me to bail on rewriting! Lol.

I have better things to do with my time this summer, like make money, but ... it seems it could be one of the missing pieces.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:47 PM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

You're tempting me to bail on rewriting! Lol.

I have better things to do with my time this summer, like make money, but ... it seems it could be one of the missing pieces.

Re-writing the MCAT is a good idea if you will be applying OOP. I'm not sure how does Queen's weighs the MCAT  though(?). My MCAT was in the 96th percentile but I had to make up for a relatively lower wGPA(~3.85). With your GPA, it may be okay if you've slightly lower MCAT. 

5 hours ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

Re-writing the MCAT is a good idea if you will be applying OOP. I'm not sure how does Queen's weighs the MCAT  though(?). My MCAT was in the 96th percentile but I had to make up for a relatively lower wGPA(~3.85). With your GPA, it may be okay if you've slightly lower MCAT. 

Queen's uses sequential cutoffs. First GPA, then MCAT- so as long as you pass the GPA threshold and subsequent MCAT threshold you make it to the next stage. 

Archived