Premed 101 Forums

Help! Dal vs UofT

First post! I've been accepted into the DDS programs at both UofT (OOP) and Dal (IP), and I'm really hoping to get some input from current students and alumni out there. I realize this is a good problem to have, but I'm trying to make the most informed decision I can. I also know that a few Maritimers usually face this debate every year, so it's not only me your helping! 

Dal has a brand new clinic and sim lab, friendly faculty, students get more clinic hours than at UofT, tuition is slightly less and Halifax is cheaper to live in.  Dal also has great community outreach opportunities and electives in public health, OMFS and peds. But, Dal DDS students do not do any perio procedures beyond scaling (this is major for me because I think I'll really enjoy perio), research opportunities are limited, class rankings are released (I believe) and I would prefer to live in Toronto (although I will probably return to the east coast to practice).  I know Dal students do tons of oral surgery, so would the flaps and suturing that you do in these cases make up for the lack of 'true' perio? 

I don't know as much about UofT. I know the faculty is extremely friendly, students experience everything clinically (albeit with some molar endo hiccups), I like their curriculum a bit more than Dal's (but they are very similar), research opportunities are plentiful, rankings are not released, and students have more exposure to specialty programs. But, the clinics and especially the sim labs are s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g for renovations, and Toronto would be the more expensive option.  I'm also concerned that the student:instructor ratio in the clinics might be high, resulting in longer wait times to get work checked. Also, could anyone comment on what electives are usually available in fourth year? I find the UofT website is vague about this. 

Proximity to family is not a big factor for me - Halifax isn't that close to home anyway. Class size is not a big factor either. 

Any thoughts? If you know any other helpful info about each school, please share! I'd really appreciate opinions. Thanks! 

I'd say you're likely to get a great education at both. No dental school is free of its issues. Overall, dental school is super tough and I would imagine the experience is a grandiose exercise in frustration across the board, new clinics or otherwise! :)

If you would prefer to live in Toronto, I think I would go with U of T. Its issues aside, you'll certainly have plenty of opportunities here. Realize what I didn't realize when i was in school: it is what you make it. Yes there are hurdles and annoyances and bureaucracies and etc., but your experience is however much you decide to invest in it. 

The main reason I'm recommending you go to U of T though is because it's a chance for you to get away from home, experience something new, and have a lot of fun. Then, go back home when you're ready to begin practice. Or... who knows, maybe you'll stay.

I went to UofT.  I didn’t do one perio surgery.  

Also, ‘exposure to specialty programs’ may not actually be that great.  At UofT, any case that’s moderately challenging gets taken away from you and given to a grad student.  You’ll have less opportunity to learn.  

I also say go to dal because I’m on the wl for uoft lol But no in all honesty why go with the school you’re least familiar with? Seems counterintuitive. Also there have been many discussions on these forums about the significant debt acquired from attending dental school and how it is becoming more and more difficult for new grads to pay off their loans. Like cleanup said dental school is what you make it, living in Toronto might be more fun but I think you should also consider whether the “Toronto experience” is worth the extra financial burden. Just my 2 cents. 

I had a similar choice between western and dal but chose dal for money and proximity to family. The amount I would save on flights and moving expenses plus being able to return home to my friends sold it for me. But if you don’t care about that at all you will probabaly get the same or similar education at both schools... haha I am so not helpful 

3 hours ago, drown besk said:

Which ones the best of the three 

Ya that's not a controlled objective experiment, he knows 3 different people that go to the schools, but I've been to all 3 schools and tbh dal is the best so he should definitely let go of his uoft spot cuz mans r hungry

Archived