Premed 101 Forums

Confused af - Move provinces? Rewrite MCAT? Find Alberta job?

-.- this face says it all right now.

Everything always feels so urgent with this process... I had a plan and now I'm not sure it is the best idea and am trying to come up with another.

Ok, so here is my overall situation that I am trying to get clarification for:

- IP BC currently, rejected post-interview 2x from UBC (1x pre-). Will be applying to UBC, Queen's, Mac, and UoA (if I get AB IP or a better CARS for OOP) for 18/19. Not sure if I'll have time to write USA applications as am studying for MCAT.

- variable GPA depending on calculation style. UBC AGPA ~ 84-85%; Queen's 2yGPA ~3.95, not sure for UoA but with worst year dropped ~84% (don't know GPA equiv yet)...

I was originally thinking of retaking the MCAT and applying to those above schools, hoping I'd do better than my 511(127) but now I'm realizing I could potentially open seats to myself if I move to Alberta for a year+ in ~August... and I can find work in Alberta in health care sector (maybe ambulance or oilpatch medic; maybe even medical research)... then I read a comment in the forums that though that is UoA's technical requirement they are still subjective in your provincial residence assessment so with all that effort and inconvenience I could still be considered OOP. I have a partner and a life here but I'm willing to move on my own for a year for a better chance but it doesn't even seem like it would guarantee IP. 

What do I dooooo :o

Average interview both times.

This year I was in school and definitely prioritized classes over interview prep. So I should be able to improve my interview score yet.

This cycle my agpa will have improved as well and my AQ will reflect that. Should be able to maintain a decently high NAQ just based on the past two cycles but it did drop by 2 points this cycle compared to last even though I added more activities and more time to preexisting ones...

Worried about getting a worse MCAT score tbh and messing chances with USA schools since they seem to take most recent...  

I think you should definitely spend more time on interview prep. Your best chance imo is still UBC- they are a very transparent school in terms of how they score/admit. You will likely interview again and should really put solid time into preparing and analyzing why you're only scoring average.  If you happen to interview at Queen's, they too will look at the interview significantly to decide admission. 

Like there doesn't seem to be a real concrete reason for you to retake the MCAT at this point?

2 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Posted ^ at the same time you did.

I am retaking MCAT mainly to get 128+ in CARS to hit UoA cutoff... and improve odds for anywhere else (UBC, Queen's, Mac).

And if I do better overall then it's good.

I had a thread (UBC thread I think) where it seemed the overwhelming majority thought a better score would help.

Sounds good- a better score definitely can't hurt if you have the time! :) best of luck! 

9 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Posted ^ at the same time you did.

I am retaking MCAT mainly to get 128+ in CARS to hit UoA cutoff... and improve odds for anywhere else (UBC, Queen's, Mac).

And if I do better overall then it's good.

I had a thread (UBC thread I think) where it seemed the overwhelming majority thought a better score would help.

Good luck!! 

Archived