Premed 101 Forums
ninja7292

Doug Ford & OPC clinches majority government...

I would love to be able to say but since there isn't actually any platform provided yet.......

I suspect on some level even the PC party doesn't know what they are going to do next - they just went through a rapid leadership change, immediately went into an election cycle, and really haven't had time to figure all of it out. The next few months will be very interesting indeed. 

25 minutes ago, yellowrose said:

Ontario just elected a person without a costed platform, that ran on empty platitudes. So who knows. I doubt if, even, Doug Ford can tell you. Atleaset, we get 1 dollar beer. 

Goes to show you just how poorly Wynne and her government performed. Not only did they lose to a guy without a costed platform, they lost official party status as well lmao.

Unbelievable that Ontario voted for someone who literally did not have a financial platform.. or much of a platform at all. We decided our own fate, regardless of how stupid it is.

Dollar beers, I guess...

Pathetic.

23 hours ago, Persephone said:

I wouldn't expect more funding for the ministry of health in the next 4 years? 

LHINs should disappear. Cuts at the admin level to the MOH should absolutely be made. Both of these are extreme positives. 

Do expect an increase to physician services as well as beds which is largely what matter for healthcare. 

The big question is whether they take a pro-NP/PA stance or not. 

21 hours ago, yellowrose said:

Sure, ideally not having a costed platform can make you more flexible and may lead to better solutions. However, this is only applicable if Doug Ford had made 0 promises. As of right now, the Ontario government will eliminate multiple sources of income via cutting taxes (i.e. scrapping carbon taxes). The conservatives, also, promised to balance the budget by the end of their first year. Furthermore, their plan wants to increase spending by 10 billion.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-ndp-and-pc-election-platforms-offer-sharp-contrast-pricey/

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/three-ontario-parties-zero-fiscal-discipline/

Now if Doug Ford wants to keep these promises, he is going to have to cut a lot from somewhere. We have no idea were the cuts are going to come from without a costed platform. Knowing the numbers might have impacted how people voted.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. The PCs won. Hopefully, they know what they are doing.

Cuts will come to admins

10 hours ago, OBoyMD said:

Unbelievable that Ontario voted for someone who literally did not have a financial platform.. or much of a platform at all. We decided our own fate, regardless of how stupid it is.

Dollar beers, I guess...

Pathetic.

Because the alternative (NDP) was so abysmal that a loottt of people preferred Ford's trashcan over it. 

You don't become an economic engine by taxing job creators and bowing down to unions. 

On 6/8/2018 at 11:32 PM, medigeek said:

LHINs should disappear. Cuts at the admin level to the MOH should absolutely be made. Both of these are extreme positives. 

Do expect an increase to physician services as well as beds which is largely what matter for healthcare. 

The big question is whether they take a pro-NP/PA stance or not. 

1) Should they? Or should Ontario get proper regionalization like everywhere else in the country? Only in Ontario do hospitals across the street from each other all have their own CEOs, executive teams and - worst - IT systems. 

2) An increase to services? With what money? Or do you think they'll actually find $6bn in "savings" that easily? 

3) I doubt they really know what stance they'll have. Certainly there seemed to be a lot of physicians active on Twitter during the campaign, often in fairly vitriolic fashion. 

14 hours ago, anonymouspanda said:

I heard Ford was planning to privatize healthcare as well...so perhaps more demand for healthcare workers if that is the case as more healthcare services will emerge?

Where did you hear that? Literally 0 evidence for that. But it would be great if we got some private options added. 

13 hours ago, A-Stark said:

1) Should they? Or should Ontario get proper regionalization like everywhere else in the country? Only in Ontario do hospitals across the street from each other all have their own CEOs, executive teams and - worst - IT systems. 

2) An increase to services? With what money? Or do you think they'll actually find $6bn in "savings" that easily? 

3) I doubt they really know what stance they'll have. Certainly there seemed to be a lot of physicians active on Twitter during the campaign, often in fairly vitriolic fashion. 

1). Yes they should. And I fully agree.

2) You pay back those who voted for you. Also, look at right leaning governments provincially across Canada or even Harper/Trudeau. The leftie stance on physician funding is that it's "wrong" for doctors (or anyone lol) to make more money (unless it's the public sector/unions). Right leaning govs however have continuously upped physician funding. Only liberal to do that was Mcguinty and he was right leaning on many economic issues. 

3) It depends who they listen to specifically. If it's just the smart doctors and also RNs, there'll have a negative stance towards midlevels. 

I felt Trudeau's talk about "rich doctors" and the like was actually personally offensive. It's one thing to talk about *everyone* helping by paying more in taxes for certain purposes. But physicians were right to feel specifically targeted, even while trust fund kids like Trudeau himself and Morneau continue to have their numbered foreign accounts.