Premed 101 Forums

Haida Gwaii Hospital Work - Post Pone Med App?

Hi guys,

I"m a 24 year old, non traditional student, i've been accepted into Selkirk College's Rural Pre Medicine program, which has a bridge to obviously UBC, and U of C for their admissions, able to apply as an in province applicant for both. It is a great program, with a tightly knit community. I begin this September.

This past year I have completed a Medical Lab Assistant certificate. And now i've been offered a job in Masset, BC, as an MLA in their hospital. This is SUCH a wicked opportunity and I honestly see it as once in a lifetime. This can possibly give me a better idea of medicine, and to look at rural health issues at a closer scope.

I've had quite the interesting background, after highschool I took a forestry job, and worked in this industry for 4.5 years, in the off season I would travel, living abroad for one year, and I found myself working in Northern California on a regenerative cannabis farm, in the span of 2 years on and off.

I'm a very non traditional student, and i'm not necessarily in a "rush" to get things completed. I'm more healthy now than ever, and I truly believe I am able to pursue medicine and get accepted. I've been encouraged to pursue medicine by my professors.. But this Haida Gwaii opportunity seems like a great way to live for the next year, and possibly post pone my Selkirk program for one year.

I"m not freaking out, but i'm trying to reflect on a tough decision, and it would be amazing to hear some of your opinions. I tend to keep these thoughts to myself, but this is life altering, and will post pone the program another year, while I will be working in a rural area of BC.

What do you guys think of this? Have you guys dealt with similar dilemmas? For those that are willing to shed some light on my situation, i'd love to hear your words.

Sincerely,

Silent knight

It sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for reasons why you shouldn't do this. If this is a 1-2 year thing, why not? You're going to be barely a couple years older than the average med student and it sounds like a great experience. That said, if you otherwise have a good MCAT and GPA you may not need to do it if you think it's going to help your applications. If you'd do it anyways, then go for it.

1 hour ago, shematoma said:

It sounds like you've made up your mind and you're looking for reasons why you shouldn't do this. If this is a 1-2 year thing, why not? You're going to be barely a couple years older than the average med student and it sounds like a great experience. That said, if you otherwise have a good MCAT and GPA you may not need to do it if you think it's going to help your applications. If you'd do it anyways, then go for it.

I’m going for it. I try to avoid comparing myself to others, or the timeline which I find myself in, and thinking I should get this process faster and become a physician as soon as I can.

But I suppose everyone has their own story, and you have to walk your own line. If I become a doctor at the age of around 30, it’s really not the end, in fact, it’s the beginning. 

It will be a 1 year thing, then I’ll be stepping back into Selkirks program the following fall. I’m kind of delaying the process, but I’ll be able to sharpen my soft skills, and work more in healthcare and live in a rural, and beautiful area of BC.

One of my mentors and professors said to me that working 12 months or 3 months in the medical assistant position won’t really make a difference when it comes to being accepted. They want to see you be able to grow as doctor, and not labelled as a med tech. This is true.

He makes a valid point, and he mentioned the rural experience that i would get will give you personal growth and maybe some points in the application process. 

Silent Knight 

Archived