Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry vs Optometry

Dentistry VS optometry  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Dentistry vs Optometry

• Dal dentistry
    • Waterloo Optometry

Picking optometry over dentistry when you have the choice is something that you will likely regret regularly throughout your entire life.  I truly hope this is not a totally serious question.  

Some people constantly tell us when we're young to "do what interests you." This is true to an extent, but is often waaaaaay overblown in terms of importance.  Like if your happiest time at a job was being a camp counsellor at age 14, would you avoid med school to be a professional camp counsellor lol?  The careers you describe above are not comparable, come on.

54 minutes ago, goleafsgochris said:

Picking optometry over dentistry when you have the choice is something that you will likely regret regularly throughout your entire life.  I truly hope this is not a totally serious question.  

Some people constantly tell us when we're young to "do what interests you." This is true to an extent, but is often waaaaaay overblown in terms of importance.  Like if your happiest time at a job was being a camp counsellor at age 14, would you avoid med school to be a professional camp counsellor lol?  The careers you describe above are not comparable, come on.

Says the neurologist :P (just teasing)

1 hour ago, goleafsgochris said:

The careers you describe above are not comparable, come on.

I maybe quite naive but why are these two careers not comparable? I honestly would 've picked optometry over dentistry. I don't want to lean forward all day and I don't want to look at teeth all day.

Comparing these two careers is like comparing apples to oranges!! I think the OP should do what they like :)

1 hour ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

I maybe quite naive but why are these two careers not comparable? I honestly would 've picked optometry over dentistry. I don't want to lean forward all day and I don't want to look at teeth all day.

Comparing these two careers is like comparing apples to oranges!! I think the OP should do what they like :)

although very different fields, most people would choose dentistry over optometry 

3 hours ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

Agreed

I dont understand how there's room for debate. Why wouldn't it be a serious question ?! Come on now, It all boils down to OP's likes and tastes.  As we say in french : tous les goûts sont dans la nature

Archived