Premed 101 Forums

Taking a week off during the term

I have a family wedding in the UK in February 2019 and I'm wondering what the chances are that I could actually make it there. I'd likely need to be off of school for a week, although I'd hopefully be able to catch up on content through video lectures. Not sure of the date yet, but it might also coincide with family day so it may only be 4 days off. Is this something that anyone has done, or should I preemptively send my regrets now? 

It should be doable. You get three ‘personal’ days each year in 1st and 2nd year that you can take off for pretty much any reason, and it’s also possible to negotiate longer absences for certain kinds of personal commitments, such as weddings of close family members. The main thing you might want to consider will be timing around the midterm (which is usually ~7-8 weeks into each term in first year). The term moves fast but missing a week won’t be the end of the world if you’re prepared to make up the time.

43 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

It should be doable. You get three ‘personal’ days each year in 1st and 2nd year that you can take off for pretty much any reason, and it’s also possible to negotiate longer absences for certain kinds of personal commitments, such as weddings of close family members. The main thing you might want to consider will be timing around the midterm (which is usually ~7-8 weeks into each term in first year). The term moves fast but missing a week won’t be the end of the world if you’re prepared to make up the time.

Thank you!

Slightly related to the topic of planning vacation time, so I figured I'd post here...

Is there anything important happening on labour day weekend that we would have to attend? I vaguely remember there is (was?) a retreat that happens very early on, was wondering if that was labour day weekend.

13 hours ago, jfdes said:

Slightly related to the topic of planning vacation time, so I figured I'd post here...

Is there anything important happening on labour day weekend that we would have to attend? I vaguely remember there is (was?) a retreat that happens very early on, was wondering if that was labour day weekend.

Yes, Camp Make Friends (cheesy I know) is usually labour weekend, getting home Sunday night so you can recover on Monday ;)

Archived