Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing

Hello everyone!

I was wondering how much weight does shadowing as a premed have on your application? I understand that it is a good personal reason to do so because it lets you know what life as a physician will be. However, is it even worth mentioning on any of the applications as an activity you were involved with? Is there a certain amount of hours that "makes you look good" per say?

Any help will be appreciated!!

It's perfectly fine for Canadian schools not to have any shadowing experience (US schools heavily desire it). Many people have successfully been admitted without doing that. Those who did some shadowing activity have put it on their application as it doesn't hurt, but what's more important is whether it helped you understand why you want to be a physician etc. After a certain amount of shadowing hours, you should have gotten what you will have gotten out of it so some people prefer to include a variety of hours instead of long term hours in one specialty, but that's up to you to decide.

3 hours ago, brady23 said:

^Agreed. Shadowing is not a big deal in Canada (the most I would put this in is "Other") 

However, if it was a competitive shadowing program (i.e. XX applicants for Y spots), then I think it would be worth mentioning 

What do you mean by competitive shadowing programs? Are there any such programs in Canada? Could you please share the names of such programs?

Thanks!

On 6/18/2018 at 7:38 AM, Crash Bandit said:

Does this mean Canadian applicants would be at a disadvantage when applying in US or do US schools understand that Canadian students would ot have the same sort of shadowing experience? Thanks in advance?

Schools that regularly accept Canadians understand that people don't shadow here and it is not an expectation.

Archived