Premed 101 Forums

Relationship between psychiatry and Dentistry

I've been reading a lot online lately about how many of the patients attending dentists' offices suffer from psychiatric disorders. That said, it seems intuitive that dentists should receive some training/education in psychiatric disorders. Doing so could make dental appointments more efficient in many ways and can benefit the patients as well (i.e. if dentists recognize that someone's pain is simply imagine as opposed to something tangible, they could save themselves the time of having to investigate). 

That said, are we taught psychiatric disorders in relation to dentistry in some of our dental school courses (i.e. at U of T)? 

Not much at UofT.  The schools that combine med and dental students for the first two years might include more psychiatry.

Frankly, the academic time would be better used for other topics.   Managing anxious patients is not the same as managing a psychiatric disorder such as depression or schitzophrenia.  After you’ve seen a few thousand patients you’ll figure out what works and what doesn’t for dental nervousness.  

Archived