Premed 101 Forums

The breakdown of how they score the ECs is as follows (or at least in the recent past... who knows, they might change it without telling us):

1. Volunteerism- 4 pts
  2. Work Experience- 4 pts
  3. Awards & Scholarships- 1 pt (Your GPA heavily influences scholarships and is a scored criterion, so this section is worth less)
  4. Leadership- 4 pts
  5. Diversity of Experience- 4 pts
  6. TOTAL= 17 pts. 

You should strategically place your commitments within each category to obtain the highest score possible. Based on scores of 7-9ish being average for those obtaining an IP interview, you should assume that it is exceptional to obtain more than a 2 in any section. Based on that, you're probably better off splitting up your strongest entries into the separate sections and (possibly) obtaining scores of 1 and 2 instead of hypothetically earning a 3. 

However, keep in mind that you probably don't want to have what could be considered duplicate entries. If you list your job under employment and then again in the leadership section, you will probably not get any points for the second entry. When adcoms used to give feedback meetings, I was told this based on my entries where I had listed an NSERC/AIHS summer studentship award in both the scholarships and employment sections. They felt that constituted a duplicate entry and I was told both entries were not eligible to contribute to the score. Therefore, if you list your job in one category I don't think you will be able to list the leadership components of that job in a separate entry. 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, adhominem said:

The breakdown of how they score the ECs is as follows (or at least in the recent past... who knows, they might change it without telling us):

1. Volunteerism- 4 pts
  3. Awards & Scholarships- 1 pt (Your GPA heavily influences scholarships and is a scored criterion, so this section is worth less)
  4. Leadership- 4 pts
  6. TOTAL= 17 pts. 

You should strategically place your commitments within each category to obtain the highest score possible. Based on scores of 7-9ish being average for those obtaining an IP interview, you should assume that it is exceptional to obtain more than a 2 in any section. Based on that, you're probably better off splitting up your strongest entries into the separate sections and (possibly) obtaining scores of 1 and 2 instead of hypothetically earning a 3. 

However, keep in mind that you probably don't want to have what could be considered duplicate entries. If you list your job under employment and then again in the leadership section, you will probably not get any points for the second entry. When adcoms used to give feedback meetings, I was told this based on my entries where I had listed an NSERC/AIHS summer studentship award in both the scholarships and employment sections. They felt that constituted a duplicate entry and I was told both entries were not eligible to contribute to the score. Therefore, if you list your job in one category I don't think you will be able to list the leadership components of that job in a separate entry. 

x

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 12:29 PM, adhominem said:

1. Volunteerism- 4 pts
  4. Leadership- 4 pts
  6. TOTAL= 17 pts. 

Very interesting!  I am just curious at to how you figured out that ECs were scored like that at the U of A?  I have never heard of this point system before.  

8 hours ago, garceyues said:

Very interesting!  I am just curious at to how you figured out that ECs were scored like that at the U of A?  I have never heard of this point system before.  

Applicants not invited to interview get their score breakdown like this so that's how this info is known

5 hours ago, garceyues said:

I see.  So do things like that matter after you get invited for an interview?  

People rejected post-interview also receive these scores. 

At this point though nobody knows how the scoring of ECs factors into the aggregate score and ranking of applicants for admission though.

Archived