Premed 101 Forums

This may be a silly question, but is it ever possible to transfer medical school or to apply to a different medical school?

By law, you can't apply to medicine for four years after accepting an offer to attend medical school in Quebec.

For the ROC, leaving medical school to start over would probably be a pretty huge red flag.

I've seen transfers happen here on Premed101. There's only 1-2 examples I can think of and they were for extremely serious reasons (my-children's-mother-died-and-I-have-to-move-to-another-province-to-care-for-them serious level). Not because you don't like the school you're in. Typically, they also happen between clerkship and pre-clerkship or during clerkship. It would be pretty much impossible to switch during pre-clerkship from a logistical POV.

32 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

I've seen transfers happen here on Premed101. There's only 1-2 examples I can think of and they were for extremely serious reasons (my-children's-mother-died-and-I-have-to-move-to-another-province-to-care-for-them serious level). Not because you don't like the school you're in. Typically, they also happen between clerkship and pre-clerkship or during clerkship. It would be pretty much impossible to switch during pre-clerkship from a logistical POV.

I agree with this.  I think it may be possible *in theory*, and as noted above may happen in extreme circumstances.  But I would DEFINITELY not count on it.  Even if it happens, it's rare to the point its almost not worth considering.  

1 hour ago, SunAndMoon said:

What law? Curious

Perhaps "law" wasn't exactly the right word but per Sherbrooke University's FAQ, the ministerial order that determines how many spots are available each year contains this rule/law/whatever it technically is. I just checked and it's actually 7 years now.

"Selon la Politique triennale en vigueur statuant sur les nouvelles inscriptions dans les programmes de doctorat en médecine au Québec, « une personne ne peut être admise et comptabilisée qu’une seule fois dans les nouvelles inscriptions sur une période de 7 ans à partir de la date de la première inscription au doctorat en médecine »."

Archived