Premed 101 Forums

CASPER Prep

Assuming you're comfortable with your typing skill, reflecting on your experiences gives you a big payoff on test day. Think of scenarios for those typical job interview questions. 

I didn't use any prep companies like Bemo, although I looked at their free content. It was useful, but not very representative of how I ended up answering my questions (their ideal answers are too long given the limited time). There's a couple free practice tests by various companies that were very helpful. I don't remember their question types but it was helpful in the sense that it allows your adrenaline to kick in early so that those nerves interfere less with your performance on test day. 

8 hours ago, medhopeful'17 said:

Hello, 

I am wondering if those who were accepted ( an assumingly did well on the Casper test) had any tips for how they prepared. I am wondering if certain prep companies are better than others? Or if they really help at all? 

Thanks!

The main goal with prep for the CASPer is to do what you can to reduce the amount of time you spend thinking during the actual test.

1) I didn't use a prep company, but I will echo Eudaimonia's comment about reflecting upon your experiences.  Try to recall stories about: conflict, teamwork, leadership, etc., all those generic topics.  This will make you quickly draw forward stories that you can implement into the answers.

2) Come up with a framework for all your answers.  Write out your answers using this framework.  This will also reduce the amount of time you spend thinking about your answers because, instead of determining how you're going to answer the question, you're determining how to fill in a template (less critical thinking).

3) Type while you think.  While you're answering the first question, start thinking about how you'll answer the 2nd question while you're typing out the first (go on typing autopilot).

pm me if you have any other questions -- I'd like to think I did pretty good on it???? (but there's no way to tell???)

Like others have said, I also reflected a lot on my experiences, and tried to think of times when I went through a hard time, participated in a group/collaborated, faced an ethical dilemma, had to solve a problem, etc. I also read the first few chapters of Doing Right, which I felt gave me a really good grasp on how to approach/solve ethical dilemmas. I did the practices questions that are on the CASPer website as well, and I found that gave me a really good idea of what to expect in terms of formatting. There are also some sample questions and answers on YouTube from some of the prep companies (to note with those though, I found the sample answers to be very long - mine were 3-5 sentences each). When taking the actual test, I tried to pause for a few seconds to think about what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. I also quickly read the second and third question before I started typing the first answer, just to make sure I didn't repeat myself.  I found that doing both of those things really helped me be concise and well organized, as opposed to spewing out whatever came to mind and ultimately having a disorganized answer. Try to have fun with it, too! I tried to be excited about finding out which scenarios and questions I was going to be presented with, and I felt like that helped to take the pressure off. Good luck! 

Archived