Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone successfully defer their offer of admission at McMaster (to finish masters)?

d.m

Hey guys,

Has anyone successfully deferred their offer to McMaster to finish the last year of their masters? I am starting a 2 year masters program in September and was really hoping to apply to McMaster this cycle. I wonder if I will have to hold off until next year, when I am in the final year of my masters.. or if I could request a 1 year deferral? :(

I have no clue what to do!

Why would you start a masters if you wanted to apply this cycle? It is a commitment you should have been aware of before you signed up... You can't defer an acceptance for this. You either apply next cycle or quit now before you the piss everyone off by quitting in the middle. 

37 minutes ago, midi said:

Why would you start a masters if you wanted to apply this cycle? It is a commitment you should have been aware of before you signed up... You can't defer an acceptance for this. You either apply next cycle or quit now before you the piss everyone off by quitting in the middle. 

I think it has to do with awareness (or what some might call pessimistic thinking)... an understanding of the fact that medical school is incredibly competitive, and while I like to think that I am a competitive applicant, I must keep in mind a suitable backup plan.. something that (1) interests me, and (2) will provide me with ample employment opportunities (should I not be lucky enough to earn a position in a medical school). I am biased, but I think it is a conservative way to go about doing things. Many students do start a masters program and apply to medical school while completing it. It is not uncommon. In fact, Queens and several other universities in Canada will consider deferring a student's offer of admission should they need to finish one more year in their masters program. 

So, to clarify: no, I would not be quitting a masters halfway through, hence my original question:

Has anyone successfully deferred their offer to McMaster to finish the last year of their masters?

Morally, people tend not to apply until their final year so they don't have to quit mid graduate program. This is what midi was talking about and I think there's some misunderstanding. You asked if you could defer for one year to finish the second year of your Masters, meaning that if your deferral is unsuccessful, it would mean quitting your program or giving up your med acceptance. 

Anyways, McMaster, like Queen's, does have this deferral policy https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/docs/default-source/admissions/deferral-of-admission-process-policy.pdf?sfvrsn=2 that gives you the option but does not guarantee it. Maybe you already knew this and are asking on the likelihood of being granted a deferral? Seems like you can apply and give it a shot (if you have the resources) and then try to get a deferral, the ideal scenario. If unsuccessful, you will have to choose one program. Consider if you'd like to have a graduate degree before med school starts, and how comfortable you are with quitting your program. 

4 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Morally, people tend not to apply until their final year so they don't have to quit mid graduate program. This is what midi was talking about and I think there's some misunderstanding. You asked if you could defer for one year to finish the second year of your Masters, meaning that if your deferral is unsuccessful, it would mean quitting your program or giving up your med acceptance. 

Anyways, McMaster, like Queen's, does have this deferral policy https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/docs/default-source/admissions/deferral-of-admission-process-policy.pdf?sfvrsn=2 that gives you the option but does not guarantee it. Maybe you already knew this and are asking on the likelihood of being granted a deferral? Seems like you can apply and give it a shot (if you have the resources) and then try to get a deferral, the ideal scenario. If unsuccessful, you will have to choose one program. Consider if you'd like to have a graduate degree before med school starts, and how comfortable you are with quitting your program. 

Thank-you, perhaps my original question was unclear. Yes, as you said, I am wondering if any students successfully deferred their acceptance for 1 year while they finished their masters. I would not feel comfortable quitting my masters program halfway through. Hmm.. what to do, what to do..

Everything is simpler when everyone involved is aware of the situation. Just tell your supervisor than you are trying to get into med school and that, if it woks, you will have to leave halfway through. Admission is, as you said, very competitive, and admission in a year does not mean you will be admitted in the following year. I had the same dilemma for a PhD I was offered, and I've been very upfront about it, and he was more than understanding and genuinely thanked me for telling him. I ended up travelling instead though (quite different, I know, but that's not the point).

Just make sure that you would wrap things up as much as possible before you quit if you're accepted in order to leave a project that someone could easily pick back up.

Archived