Premed 101 Forums

Confused about USDO and International Options

Hi Bipolarbearr,

With a 3.5 GPA you have a shot at a few MD schools, as well as, DO schools. (Buy a copy of MSAR online for USMD schools and you can check the MCAT and GPA percentiles for accepted students from the 2017-2018 cycle.) Personally, I would do a USMD if you don't get into Canada because it is the path of least resistance to practice in Canada. US DO is now considered an IMG in CaRMS. I don't believe USMD grads are considered IMGs.

As well, I am not sure of Ireland graduates USMLE or MCCEE pass rates and residency match percentage. (Definitely inquire about these before making the decision to commit to any international school)

A second option would be to complete both schooling and residency in the UK (if you don't match in CaRMS) because there is a reciprocity agreement between the UK and Canada for post-grad training in medicine. However, it is hard to get a visa for foundation year 1, and 2 after the medical degree for foreigners.

2 hours ago, Fairypops said:

Hi Bipolarbearr,

With a 3.5 GPA you have a shot at a few MD schools, as well as, DO schools. (Buy a copy of MSAR online for USMD schools and you can check the MCAT and GPA percentiles for accepted students from the 2017-2018 cycle.) Personally, I would do a USMD if you don't get into Canada because it is the path of least resistance to practice in Canada. US DO is now considered an IMG in CaRMS. I don't believe USMD grads are considered IMGs.

As well, I am not sure of Ireland graduates USMLE or MCCEE pass rates and residency match percentage. (Definitely inquire about these before making the decision to commit to any international school)

A second option would be to complete both schooling and residency in the UK (if you don't match in CaRMS) because there is a reciprocity agreement between the UK and Canada for post-grad training in medicine. However, it is hard to get a visa for foundation year 1, and 2 after the medical degree for foreigners.

For the UK, it isn't hard to get a visa, they guarantee FY1 and 2 spots for all UK medical graduates regardless of citizenship. Additionally, if you complete your FY1 and 2 training and med school in the UK as an international citizen they will let you stay on for specialty training. For this reason, the UK is not a bad option but spots in the A100 medical programs are capped at 7% of domestic students and tend to be competitive. 

12 hours ago, Edict said:

For the UK, it isn't hard to get a visa, they guarantee FY1 and 2 spots for all UK medical graduates regardless of citizenship. Additionally, if you complete your FY1 and 2 training and med school in the UK as an international citizen they will let you stay on for specialty training. For this reason, the UK is not a bad option but spots in the A100 medical programs are capped at 7% of domestic students and tend to be competitive. 

Thanks for clearing that up Edict!

Archived