Premed 101 Forums

MD Financial 2018 Backpacks?

2 hours ago, doctor_snow said:

Serious question...why do people like these backpacks? Because they are free? Because they signal we are med students? Or...?

Lol. The latter. It’s not all malicious, I’m sure people like the camaraderie it brings, think it makes things convenient, especially in a setting where you have to indicate you’re a medical student, etc. But also because it lets everyone know they’re med students. 

1 hour ago, modestgenius said:

Lol. The latter. It’s not all malicious, I’m sure people like the camaraderie it brings, think it makes things convenient, especially in a setting where you have to indicate you’re a medical student, etc. But also because it lets everyone know they’re med students. 

We're all in this together... 

1 hour ago, modestgenius said:

But also because it lets everyone know they’re med students. 

Just to be clear, it lets everyone in medicine know that you're a med student. If you're not in med and don't work in a hospital, no one around town will know what it means. There's no patch that says "I'M IN MEDICAL SCHOOL PLEASE BE IMPRESSED WITH ME", and no one is going to see a tiny MD Financial label and know what that means.

People buy shirts that say "U of T Medicine" on them to do that, the backpacks are just free, good quality, and are an easy way for someone in med to know what year you're in.

Yeah I think it's more convenient locally. I'm sure it'll help being able to more easily identify upper year students if any questions arise or you just want to be social. 

Plus we are all about to be in lots of debt so I'm not going to say no to a free, good quality backpack haha

15 minutes ago, Hellothere77 said:

Just to be clear, it lets everyone in medicine know that you're a med student. If you're not in med and don't work in a hospital, no one around town will know what it means. There's no patch that says "I'M IN MEDICAL SCHOOL PLEASE BE IMPRESSED WITH ME", and no one is going to see a tiny MD Financial label and know what that means.

People buy shirts that say "U of T Medicine" on them to do that, the backpacks are just free, good quality, and are an easy way for someone in med to know what year you're in.

Truly. I remember in my early undergrad when I didn't know about backpacks, I saw the students with their green fluorescent ones during orientation, and my first thought was that these people were being herded and they were in uniform to make them easier to keep track of 

57 minutes ago, Hellothere77 said:

As an undergrad in science (class of 2018), I definitely was aware of the significance of the backpacks and those around me were too. Granted though, that would only be premeds then. So I take your point. It lets other med students (+ those striving to be med students) know they’re in med. 

2 hours ago, Hellothere77 said:

I had no idea what they were about myself until I got into medical school - but my UG was at Waterloo where at the time no one had such a bag. It is likely different or more likely to be so if you are at school with a MD program.

We also buy those T shirts because they often are likely to fund raising for something at the school. I have a drawer full of them still ha - and the more you are involved in student politics the more likely you are to be buying them. Even those T Shirts aren't all about "look at me" either. In large part because when your entire class, and classes around you are in medical school and that is where you are 90% of the time, who exactly are you trying to impress ha. 

13 hours ago, doctor_snow said:

Serious question...why do people like these backpacks? Because they are free? Because they signal we are med students? Or...?

Basically free and pride within this community. Boy does Financial MD know their market ;)

But more seriously, I like the backpack cause it signals med students while you're travelling and you can make some amazing connections! I was wearing mine in Hawai'i and because of it ran into a few other Canadian med students! Same thing happened in Paris and Athens. During the interview tour in M4, you'll see dozens of the backpacks in the airports etc, and it's nice to be able to approach someone and know exactly what they're going through 

21 minutes ago, Vendar said:

I wonder if the voting actually matters...since they recently released the poll and Calgary starts very soon, they probably have a colour sent to the manufacturer already

It's pretty clear it doesn't:

Can you guess what colour the 2018 backpack will be

6 minutes ago, runridge said:

Does anyone know which colour won the poll last year? They must compile the voting data for future use. 

I think I remember seeing red winning the poll. They announced a special anniversary color so people thought it was for Canada150 but turns out it was for CMA's anniversary

Archived