Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

I go to a Canadian school. If I match to orthopaedic surgery in Canada, can I practice in the US? From my research, I found that jobs are very scarce in Canada, but there are lots of opportunities in the US for orthopaedic surgery. 

Do I need to write STEP1 to be considered? What are some hurdles to practicing in US? Immigration seems to be an issue.

I don't know anything about the job market for ortho so listen to the orthopods on that one.

Immigration to practice of fellowship in the US is actually fairly easy.  I moved to the US for fellowship.  I did it on a J1 visa because I was returning to Canada after 1 year.  USMLE is not required for a J1 visa.

Licensing depends a bit on which state you're in, but Canadian exams are generally considered on par. 

Work visa is a bit more challenging.  If you are thinking about moving to the US to work permanently, then yes just do all the USMLE.  It will help your visa status because you can get an H1B pretty easy.  Except for the expense and hassle of actually writing the USMLE, there is no downside to having them in your portfolio.  It does increase options for you for fellowship or work in the US.  There are ways to do it all without the USMLE, but it can be a bit more complicated.

3 hours ago, Histolytica said:

I don't know anything about the job market for ortho so listen to the orthopods on that one.

Immigration to practice of fellowship in the US is actually fairly easy.  I moved to the US for fellowship.  I did it on a J1 visa because I was returning to Canada after 1 year.  USMLE is not required for a J1 visa.

Licensing depends a bit on which state you're in, but Canadian exams are generally considered on par. 

Work visa is a bit more challenging.  If you are thinking about moving to the US to work permanently, then yes just do all the USMLE.  It will help your visa status because you can get an H1B pretty easy.  Except for the expense and hassle of actually writing the USMLE, there is no downside to having them in your portfolio.  It does increase options for you for fellowship or work in the US.  There are ways to do it all without the USMLE, but it can be a bit more complicated.

Could you comment briefly on doing it without the USMLEs, specifically if you just want to setup a simple private practice outpatient clinic?

The job market for orthopedics is getting better now from what i've heard from graduating residents. All of this stuff is cyclical, choosing a specialty is a bit like choosing to buy a house in 10 years. The market could be booming or in a recession. 

Regarding your question, it seems as if Canadian FRCSC's can write the US boards. You just need to have finished your Canadian boards before you write the US ones. 

https://www.abos.org/certification-exams/part-i.aspx

It also says below that you are eligible for board certification with Canadian residency training. 

https://www.abpsus.org/orthopedic-surgery-eligibility

It seems very complicated. I think FM is the safest option in Canada atm. I think getting board certified is great but the issue is visa (H1B) which means we  just need to pass the steps (1,2 and 3). Definitely doable tho

22 hours ago, strawberryjams said:

It seems very complicated. I think FM is the safest option in Canada atm. I think getting board certified is great but the issue is visa (H1B) which means we  just need to pass the steps (1,2 and 3). Definitely doable tho

It's a bit complicated but not terrible.  If you want to move to the States it's completely feasible.  Just pick what specialty you want and where you want to practice it. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, PhD2MD said:

Could you comment briefly on doing it without the USMLEs, specifically if you just want to setup a simple private practice outpatient clinic?

I don't know anything about setting up a private practice clinic.  My experience in US is limited to advanced fellowship training.

In fact, I don't even think being board certified is a requirement to find jobs in certain situations. Most job listings ask for board certified/board eligible, but that is mainly because they don't necessarily trust foreign training, but they make exceptions for Canadians because of how similar our system is to theirs. In reality they would hire someone who is Canadian board certified with good fellowship and recommendation letters without board certification. I've definitely seen Canadian trained doctors work in top US academic centers and their training clearly would not qualify them to be Board Certified in the US. 

2 hours ago, Edict said:

In fact, I don't even think being board certified is a requirement to find jobs in certain situations. Most job listings ask for board certified/board eligible, but that is mainly because they don't necessarily trust foreign training, but they make exceptions for Canadians because of how similar our system is to theirs. In reality they would hire someone who is Canadian board certified with good fellowship and recommendation letters without board certification. I've definitely seen Canadian trained doctors work in top US academic centers and their training clearly would not qualify them to be Board Certified in the US. 

The Royal College is way harder than the US boards, at least in my specialty.