Premed 101 Forums

LOR from private tutoring - unprofessional?

Hi everyone,

I've been doing private English and Math tutoring for almost 7 years now, and there's a family that I've been working with for about 5 years. They know me really well and like me quite a bit, and I'm sure that the mother of the child I'm tutoring would give me a wonderful reference. Would that be considered unprofessional/considered as a red flag though? I would love to use them as a reference, but because it's not formal tutoring under a company/organization I'm worried that it wouldn't look too good.

What do you guys think?

If they can write a reference letter that can help demonstrate some positive character traits of yours, I think it would be great! Personal anecdotes/examples help to illustrate those personal qualities. 

Just because you're not working for a company is not a bad thing --- rather, you're entrepreneurial!  That's starting your own business, communicating with others, and managing client expectations. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, criston said:

If they can write a reference letter that can help demonstrate some positive character traits of yours, I think it would be great! Personal anecdotes/examples help to illustrate those personal qualities. 

Just because you're not working for a company is not a bad thing --- rather, you're entrepreneurial!  That's starting your own business, communicating with others, and managing client expectations. 

On 6/22/2018 at 3:44 AM, Bambi said:

Use her for the LOR!

Thank you both!

Archived