Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I go to UWO (Med Sci), and my 1st yr GPA is pretty low, 3.46 (3.34 1st semester and 3.58 2nd semester) for a combination of reasons, I have done some self-reflection and have somewhat of an idea of why I didn't do too good. I went to a crappy high school in a small town that was supposedly very easy because I did not learn many of the things my friends learned in good schools or in IB/AP classes.. On top of that, I had horrible professors for the classes in which I didnt have a lot of prior knowledge (calc, chem), maybe thats why I bombed the first midterm in Chem which wrecked my GPA for the class. I also ended up with a terrible TA that marked lab assignments extremely unfairly. 

I did improve in the second semester, but ended with a lot of stupid grades (79, 84, etc) 

Not to mention, one of the worst things is that I had a very loud and disruptive roommate and I was often forced to study outside of my room against my will.

I'm confident that il do better in all remaining years and I'm sure I can do much better in years 2,3 and 4. Will I still have a chance at some schools (IP or OOP) that do look at grades from all years (Mac and NOSM?)

Each Ontario med school has slightly different weighting formulas so don't worry. You've still got time to improve and get a killer gpa. 

Western - best two years where you have taken at least 3/5 courses per semester at or above the course level of the year that you're in
Queens - best two years or most recent 2 years, whichever is better
Toronto - cumulative but drops the lowest grade from each year (make sure you qualify for this wGPA calculation though) 
Ottawa - wGPA calculation which basically weighs your final years much more than earlier ones. If you apply after 4th year, your 1st year will be disregarded completely. 
Mac - cGPA but they focus a lot on the CARS score and CASPER so you've still got chance to improve

21 minutes ago, anonymouspanda said:

Queens - best two years or most recent 2 years, whichever is better

Just to be more accurate, Queen’s is most recent 2 years or cGPA whichever is better. 

One meh year wont ruin you for most schools if you open the other years. Also do well on MCAT, especially CARS and you’ll be set. But definitely do well in your last two years to help with Queen’s and Ottawa. Best of luck. Also don’t forget to get help from profs, it’s thneir job and they’ll help clear up some confusing concepts.

Your story is familiar to me. I faced similar frustrations in first year. 

During your reflections this summer, make sure that Med Sci is what you want to do. I only learned by 3rd year that I was happier In a more general degree that allowed me to continue with upper year sciences but explore other interests. My grades improved when I wasn’t bogged down with only sciences. 

Good luck on your path!

I think the worst classes are dropped irrespective of year but you get to drop one more FCE for every year you do. So if you're in third year, you get to drop your 3 worst FCEs, 4th year 4 worst FCEs. And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that 1 FCE is equal to 2 courses so by the end of 4th year you can basically drop 8 of your worst grades. This is what I understood from reading their FAQs multiple times over. 

50 minutes ago, anonymouspanda said:

I think the worst classes are dropped irrespective of year but you get to drop one more FCE for every year you do. So if you're in third year, you get to drop your 3 worst FCEs, 4th year 4 worst FCEs. And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that 1 FCE is equal to 2 courses so by the end of 4th year you can basically drop 8 of your worst grades. This is what I understood from reading their FAQs multiple times over. 

Is it if you apply in your 4th year they drop your 4 worst FCEs? Or is it if I finish my 4 year undergrad, and then they drop my 4 worst FCEs? It kinda sounds like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure haha

I'm in high school rn, so I don't much experience, but from what I've learned from this site is that a lot of people tend to struggle transitioning from secondary to post-secondary education. With that being said, like other people in this thread have stated some med school don't use your cumulative GPA for acceptance and most just tend to look at your best years. The main thing is don't lose your motivated and keep grinding. Moreover, don't forget that if you are financially stable enough and don't mind studying in the US, as a last resort type of plan, you can probably get into a med school in the US with a Western GPA. AMCAS translates a 80% or higher from Western to a 4.0 . 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, thatspecificguy said:

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I go to UWO (Med Sci), and my 1st yr GPA is pretty low, 3.46 (3.34 1st semester and 3.58 2nd semester) for a combination of reasons, I have done some self-reflection and have somewhat of an idea of why I didn't do too good. I went to a high school in a small town that was supposedly very "easy", I did not learn many of the things my friends learned in good schools or in IB/AP classes.. On top of that, I had horrible professors for the classes in which I didnt have a lot of prior knowledge (calc, chem), so I bombed the first midterm in Chem which wrecked my GPA for that class. In Biology, I ended up with a terrible TA that marked lab assignments extremely unfairly. 

I did improve in the second semester, but ended with a lot of stupid grades (79, 84, etc) 

Not to mention, one of the worst things is that I had a very loud and disruptive roommate and I was often forced to study outside of my room against my will.

I am determined to do well in all remaining years and I'm sure I can do much better in years 2,3 and 4. Will I still have a chance at some schools (IP or OOP) that do look at grades from all years. 

I just finished first year med sci at UWO too, but lived off campus. Lots of solid advice here that helps me too because I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but if there's anything I can add, make sure you get rid of that disruptive roommate lol. I'll never understand how people truly study without complete solitude.